Selecting the right size anchor rode

Mar 21, 2016
Bristol 24 New York, NY
Ahoy Folks,

I'm new to the forum and hoping to rouse some good answers!

I just bought a Bristol 24, approx. 6,000 lbs. I've decided on a rope/chain ground tackle system. No windlass. I plan to get somewhere between 25-30 ft chain, the rest rope, with a 22 lb Rocna anchor.

I am leaning towards 3/8" 3-strand nylon, and 1/4" proof coil chain.

I've read the charts, this is basically the most widely recommended size. But I wonder if those charts are talking about lighter weight 24 footers, when they recommend this. Also, is Proof Coil strong enough? This is my first venture into chain buying. At first glance BBB or G4 looks more expensive/stronger, but those are better for boats with windlasses. Will proof coil be just fine?? I plan on anchoring.... A LOT.

Thanks!!!!!! Hope this yields some results.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
G4 being a stronger alloy, may well be lighter than others. BBB, etc... Look at all aspects of the chain. It last a long time, so don't go by price alone. Remember, a strong anchor system is your boats insurance.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
1/4" grade 30 has a working load of 1300 lbs, as does 1/4" BBB. Grade 40 1/4' doubles to 2600 lbs working load. Weight is close to the same.

With 25 to 30' of chain I would go to 5/16" grade 30, grade 40 if budget is less of an issue. And 1/2" rode
, 3 strand or braid.

Jan 22, 2008
Nigel Caulders "Cruising Handbook" specs ABYC charts. Thus, for a 25-foot, 8-foot beam sailboat, calculated load in 6 Yeah, skip the swivels0 knots of wind is 1,960 pounds DWL. This would call for the 3/8 line, 1/4 HT/G40 chain, 5/16 shackles. Ht chain, it is rated at 2600 working load limit- per West. In all cases, you'd go up at least one size, so 5/16 1T(on) shackles should serve you well. 3/8 if they will fit the chain opening. Oh, yeah... skip the swivels.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2016
Bristol 24 New York, NY
Nigel Caulders "Cruising Handbook" specs ABYC charts. Thus, for a 25-foot, 8-foot beam sailboat, calculated load in 6 Yeah, skip the swivels0 knots of wind is 1,960 pounds DWL. This would call for the 3/8 line, 1/4 HT/G40 chain, 5/16 shackles. Ht chain, it is rated at 2600 working load limit- per West. In all cases, you'd go up at least one size, so 5/16 1T(on) shackles should serve you well. 3/8 if they will fit the chain opening. Oh, yeah... skip the swivels.
Hi Ron--
I was leaning toward 3/8" nylon 3-strand, and 1/4" chain (decided on G4 after doing more research about proof coil). I'm worried though 3/8" isn;t enough though. On the charts I'm at the tail end of this recommended size. You say I could go up in all....

What about 1/2" line, 1/4" chain. Would that work? Would going up a size in line, but not the chain, affect the ability to splice the two together?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, I would move up to 1/2" and I really like the 8-plait nylon rode material. The 1/2" is easier to grip, and the 8 plait doesn't tangle and kink like the 3 ply will. 1/4" G4 will be fine, especially if you are sweating it with your hands, shackle one size up (5/16")

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
On my 25 footer I carry 75 feet of 1/4 G4 chain, and 200 feet of 1/2 nylon. The problem with 3/8 is not necessarily the strength- it's the fact that it would be tough on your hands to handle. The slightly larger 1/2 is much kinder on hands.

Agree on the one size up shackle, and I would NEVER put a swivel on the rode.

Mar 21, 2016
Bristol 24 New York, NY
Cheers everyone! I'm going with 1/2 inch line, and 5/16th chain. Thanks again, super helpful.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
[QUOTE= and I would NEVER put a swivel on the rode.[/QUOTE said:
what is wrong with a swivel? I don't have one but you got me curious

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The complaint about swivels is that they are a weak link in your ground tackle system. However, not all swivels are the same, and the good ones also function as a shackle. On some boats a traditional Crosby shackle will not clear the bow roller, and will foul deployment and recovery. So you use a quality swivel shackle to manage the requirements, and you pay a king's ransom for the thing.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
All good advice here. However, I would steer clear of BBB or proof coil chain in sea water, not so much because of strength but G4 will withstand sea water corrosion better than the others. A good quality 1/4" G4 should be suitable for your displacement, IMHO.

Here is a link to an article that I wrote describing our anchoring system that has worked well over the years in PNW waters. A warp splice works well in place of shackles or swivels and is as strong as the rope and chain that you select.

http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=8270&mn=42

Warp splice:

http://www.bluemoment.com/warpchainsplice.html

I always drop all 50' of chain. Then I will let out rope in 30' segments depending on water depth. To mark each 30' segment I used a short piece of bright orange nylon line wrapped twice around one strand of rope. So, one piece for the first 30', two for the next, etc. The strand locks the line to the rope. Simple, low cost and effective.

Last edited:
May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
you'll safety wire that shackle, right?
are you going to mark the rode with paint or something?

when I think about anchor rode, I think about how long it would take a coral head to eat though one... not sure about what kind of hazards there are where you're going to anchor.

Mar 21, 2016
Bristol 24 New York, NY
Definitely will mouse the shackle. Probably going to mark the rode with those plastic anchor rode markers

Jan 22, 2008
Allen head pin- can not wire it closed. Referring to Caulder's book again, he says about SS shackles: "Although I might be tempted to use a SS shackle because it has a higher WLL for the same size galvanized, it would be a mistake. ... SS shackles are rated at up to 50 percent of their breaking strength, so the extra stength may be illusory and, in fact, the shackle may be weaker. In addition, SS may cause galvanic corrosion with the chain."

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Wow. All this for a 24-foot boat.
1. Swivel? For what? I had one with the last anchor and pitched when I switched. Don't miss it. And by the way, it had a tiny little crack starting on the inside. Stainless will do that.
2. On what basis is G4 more corrosion resistant? The testing I have seen shows no difference.

With a combination rode the ABYC table is out the window (it is based on all chain); I doubt he will ever see over 800 WL.

http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Rethinking-Anchor-Snubbers-11937-1.html
http://www.practical-sailor.com/issues/37_63/features/What-is-Ideal-Snubber-Size_11951-1.html