Selden Rodkicker Hydraulic strut

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
The hydraulic ram on my 2006 C309 has failed again. This will be the 4th one and this last one only lasted 10 months. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced ram that will fit this beast and last?

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Mine failed twice in the first 2 years I owned my 309. Selden ultimately replaced it (under warranty) with the next size up (interns of strength), and that one was still operating like new 5 years later when I sold the boat.

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
John, I talked to Scott at Selden US today and he is going to sent me a new gas spring one size stronger like you had put on your C309. He said they should last 10-15 years without failure. He thinks the ones on the early C309's may be undersized for the weight of the boom. Mine is #20 and yours was about the same. Thanks for the info as it gave him a clue as to what was going on. Hope your are having a great sailing season on your new C355. Bob

Mar 20, 2007
Catalina 355 Kilmarnock, VA
Thanks Bob. Be aware when you install the new spring, it will take a LOT more effort to vang it in. I found I needed to use the winch any time I lowered the boom.