Selden Mast Forestay Attachment Recall

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 44 Keyport, NJ
A few months ago Selden sent me a questionnaire for scheduling a repair of the recalled forestay attachment on my 2005 H44. I responded promptly but I haven't heard anything from them since. Has anyone?

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter H260 Shoal Lake
I sent Selden my mast serial number on the form they supplied and copied my marina as well. Selden contacted Tidewater Marina and it was repaired over the winter.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I registered my claim back in November and didn't hear a word. I started getting a little anxious about it so three weeks ago I began emailing ( A few times) and calling Seldon. Don't waste your time calling. I think they only actually talk to dealers. End users must email. Finally Tom did call me and we started making arrangements. You need to be your own advocate here and push - hard if you have to. But also be nice when they do call or you may find that the replacement part may get lost.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 44 Keyport, NJ
Following Dave's advice, I just sent an email to Tom along with a photo of the mast etching.

Larry

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Had the same issue on my 2005 H44. After I contacted Selden the second time they arranged with my marina to do the changout prior to launching this spring. The Marina told me that they checked the old fitting and there was no sign of damagee.

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
We sailed our Hunter 44AC 2006 from New Jersey to Panama City Florida, then found out about the recall, Selden had a riigger replace fitting at dock before we left for our trip home.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I;m getting nothing from Selden. I've tried email and telephone to schedule my replacement with no response.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I'm going to stick this thread in the Big Boat Forum in case anyone misses the thread in the Ask a Hunterowner Forum.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Mine is being scheduled

A few months ago Selden sent me a questionnaire for scheduling a repair of the recalled forestay attachment on my 2005 H44. I responded promptly but I haven't heard anything from them since. Has anyone?
If you contact Selden, ask for Tom Sharkey. He is in charge of this, and is really trying to help everyone out. I am confident he'll take care of you

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 44 Keyport, NJ
As suggested, I called Tom Sharkey at 843 760 -6278 ext 208. He will mail the part to my boat yard ( Lockwoods) who will do the install. Thanks to all for your advice.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Update: Tom Sharkey at Selden put me in touch with Jenkins Sails out of Annapolis. Jenkins chief rigger, Craig Parker, will come to my boat this week to change out the fitting. The process, from when I first found out about the recall to the actual repair, was a long and frustrating one, in part due to complications on my part and Selden's "relaxed" approach. However, the key was getting in direct contact with Tom Sharkey who is in charge of this particular issue. In spite of all of the frustration, Selden is to be commended for stepping up and taking responsibility for this recall. Tom indicated that there have been about 70 recall repairs to Hunters to date and that none of the fittings changed were found to be defective, and there have been no failures to any Hunter. Apparently the "failure" was an isolated incident that is costing Selden a considerable amount of time and money. In a similar situation Hunter had to "bite the bullet" in a recall involving defective ball valves that cost the company many dollars. Any reputable and responsible company must take these kinds of issues seriously and undertake a program to resolve them. Understandably, boat owners frustrations comes through in some of the posts. My advice; contact and keep in touch with Tom Sharkey (843 760 -6278 ext 208) and be patient.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Just had mine repaired

South Shore yachts came to the boat today & replaced the fitting:
Firstly....
If anyone in central Ontario needs mast work done, call these guys!
They are very professional, and a pleasure to have on board.
Secondly, thank you Tom Sharkey for making this all happen.

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Since Luhrs filed Chapter 13 last week, Hunter filed Chapter 11 planning on reorganizing. I have had a warranty issue outstanding for a few months and was told last week by Hunter that, in light of the reorganization, we can be more confident with regard to getting paid. A good contact at Hunter is Eddie Breeden. Al Fooks has been moved to another area within the company and appears to no longer be involved with warranty work.

Mar 4, 2012
Hunter 44 Auckland New Zealand
The replacement forestay part has arrived for my H44 and the rigger has been up the mast to find he could not get the old one out due to space constraints associated with the furling main. Has any one with a H44 or H426 who has a furling main had this part replaced with the mast in place?

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Since Luhrs filed Chapter 13 last week, Hunter filed Chapter 11 planning on reorganizing. I have had a warranty issue outstanding for a few months and was told last week by Hunter that, in light of the reorganization, we can be more confident with regard to getting paid. A good contact at Hunter is Eddie Breeden. Al Fooks has been moved to another area within the company and appears to no longer be involved with warranty work.

This is a Selden recall on the fitting and is not claimed through Hunter.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Update: Tom Sharkey put me in touch with Jenkins Sails (Annapolis) who sent the chief rigger out to my boat and changed out the fitting on Thursday. Great job by Tom, Jenkins Sails and particularly Caig Parker, Rigger.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Contact Tom Sharkey

The replacement forestay part has arrived for my H44 and the rigger has been up the mast to find he could not get the old one out due to space constraints associated with the furling main. Has any one with a H44 or H426 who has a furling main had this part replaced with the mast in place?
Tom Sharkey @ Selden US knows more than anyone about this.
He is very helpful.

Mar 4, 2012
Hunter 44 Auckland New Zealand
Re: Contact Tom Sharkey

Update

The rigger has been back and sorted it - to remove the part from an in furling mast he had to run a mouse (a thinner line) thru the spinnaker halyard to termporarily provide some space to get the old one out - so all sorted