Selden forestay fitting recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
There are 2 previous discussions about this recall and it appears the 44, 45cc, 486 are also affected. Selden have agreed to cover the costs for this recall and it is worth mentioning that Hunter was instrumental in getting this done.

Best advise is to contact Tom Sharkey at Selden US ts@seldenus.com for confirmation if your mast is affected.

this is from Marc14857

Needed to have the mast ID number etched at the bottom of the mast. My mast is etched with a "H426" prefix which probably explains why Selden considers the H44 a H426.

Attention Hunter 49 Owners

Selden Mast Issues

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Thanks Scott. I'm hoping we can create a central thread on this topic and stick it here so it can be seen easily.

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
We also got the recall notice, after traviling from NJ to Panama City Florida for the winter, Selden is arraning for a rigger to do the repairs. Will advise.
Scary after being in 30 Knot winds in the Hawk Channel

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
Some 426's (2003 44's) are involved also. I am in contact with Selden and they are "stepping up" by taking responsibility for the repairs. See earlier posts in this forum.

Sep 19, 2011
Hunter 426 De
I contacted Selden through there email recall form on 1-7-2011 USA time and have not heard back from them yet. We are traveling south through Florida at the time and this has brought great concern to us.
Regards, Chris.

Sep 20, 2006
I contacted Selden through there email recall form on 1-7-2011 USA time and have not heard back from them yet. We are traveling south through Florida at the time and this has brought great concern to us.
Regards, Chris.

Have you contacted Tom Sharkey at Selden US at the email above? He seems to have respsonded quickly to other owners.

Sep 19, 2011
Hunter 426 De
OOps I ment 2012 not 2011 but I will contact Tom next. Hunter gave me an auto reply of a 10 day wait time for any type of response to my email.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I had a call today from Tom Sharkey at Selden with an excellent briefing on the program Selden has devised for replacing the potentially defective part. It seems as though the process has begun and parts are being replaced presently. Very reassuring and I think Tom and Selden should be commended for standing up to this issue.

Sep 19, 2011
Hunter 426 De
I got my forstay replaced two weeks ago by Gary Shotwell of Keys rigging through Tom Sharky of Selden. Everything was handled very professionally from correspondence to replacement. I had Gary and his associate Curt come back the fowling week to give my rigging a complete tuning and now have total peace of mind with the function and condition of my rigging. The forstay that was replaced did not show any sign of failure with a visual inspection with the naked eye that I was able to see. My boat only has about 2500 miles on it and most of it was with the main and or motor working with the jib.

Sep 20, 2006
I got my forstay replaced two weeks ago by Gary Shotwell of Keys rigging through Tom Sharky of Selden. Everything was handled very professionally from correspondence to replacement. I had Gary and his associate Curt come back the fowling week to give my rigging a complete tuning and now have total peace of mind with the function and condition of my rigging. The forstay that was replaced did not show any sign of failure with a visual inspection with the naked eye that I was able to see. My boat only has about 2500 miles on it and most of it was with the main and or motor working with the jib.

Glad it all worked out for you and thanks for reporting back.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
Also still waiting though mast is down and boat is on the hard at least for another month. I told Tom Mast will be going up in early April so I expect to hear from him soon.

Sep 15, 2006
Hunter 44 Shore Point Marina, Pine Beach NJ
repaired fitting

Zern Rigging did repairs yesterday, very professional, thanks Tom!

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 426 Rock Hall, MD
I talked to Tom Sharkey today. My 2003 426 is among the recalled boats. He will put a rigger in touch with me to coordinate the fitting replacement. BTW: Tom said that there has never been a Hunter head stay fitting failure. Also, Selden has repaired about 60 boats to date and after checking all returned fittings have not found one with a defect.

Mar 4, 2012
Hunter 44 Auckland New Zealand
My 2004 Hunter 44 has this fitting so its not limited just to 426s

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Are interested parties, like me, out there getting any response from Selden? I've tried email and telephone messages with no response. My boat will be launched soon and I need to get this part replacement done before I can go sailing. What are the rest of us hearing??
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.