Seidelmann 37 Strengths?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2009
Islander I28 Kemah, Tx
Hey guys I am looking at a Seidelmann 37 right now and was wondering if any of you have inputs on how reliable its hull/rigging are. I am going to be doing alot of cruising and world traveling with my next boat. Does this boat have a good reputation or are there things that I should be worried about. It is an 81 model.
Scott

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Being an owner of a Seidelmann 34 I'm bias in saying the boat is a good value.

I've had no problems with blisters, and as far as I know they are not common on Seildelmanns but they do occur. As with any boat of that age have a good survey done, ensuring the rig and bulk heads are inspected for possible rot at the chain plates or around the port lights due to water.

The rig is usually a single spreader Kenyon spar which are out of business but most parts are still available through rigrite.com.

I'm thinking the boat may be a little on the light side for serious world traveling but it has been done by many on this forum.

It has a good reputation as a light air boat. I often wondered if the cockpit is an issue on the 37s since there really isn't any combing and I would think water would run right in off the deck. Maybe others can comment on that (34's have a combing)

Good luck - what's the name of the boat? it's history might be on here

Nov 26, 2006
Hunter 31 1987 Fly Creek Marina Fairhope,AL.
Nice n eeasy has that boat and im sure is a weath of information regarding reitting her or what to look for.

I will forward the thread to hime.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
phil said he sent a long pm---i can tell ye that the boat will handle that which you might not believe it can handle!!! i sailed with him this past summer---wow---does quite nicely---is a heavy performance cruiser---lol....

Jun 7, 2010
none none Burlington
I have also been checking out a couple of Seidelmann 37's (Trident & Edelweiss) on Yachtworld and wondered if someone could fill me in on them/it as well?

I'm looking to do Great Lakes cruising with it.

It seems like the engine in these (25HP I believe) would be underpowered for a 37'. Any comments or experience with the expected speed under power?

Thanks in advance.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
S37 Power

The S37 is a little underpowered. Under no wind/current conditions it will motor at around 7 knots. Nor long ago I was fighting a 40 knot head wind, and a vicious 2 to 4 foot chop, and could only make about 3. But no more than I have to motor in those conditions, it's fine for me. Overall I would rate the boat pretty high. Have been in some real nasties offshore, and have never noticed any hull flex or anything bad from her. The boat will certainly stand up to much more than I can.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Seidelman 37 Rudder

Anyone have any questions or concerns or want to know how these things are put together just drop me a line. I have the rudder off my boat, and cut open exposing it's inside construction. Some things seem a little mickey mouse to me, but it lasted for nearly 30 years with no problems, and took a hell of a hard grounding and pounding to break it.

Jan 7, 2010
Seidelmann 37 Deale, MD
Fast and reliable

We've had our S37 for over a year now at it has proved a great sail. I wouldn't say the engine is underpowered because it is a light boat, 13,900 displacemnet. We live aboard so we have alot of junk and have a 24hp Yanmar and it still gets up to 8 knots. Our top sailing speed is 8.8 knots in decent weather. The skinny stern is good for speed but bad for storage!

I believe the rollover number is over 2 (how well it will right itself if flipped) so that would be my concern about taking it around the world.

http://svbrighteyes.blogspot.com/

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i am glad to see you have anti-lightning kats on board...have you tried a windscoop for the forward hatch to vent the boat in summer--helps flow the breezes forward--
with a fin keel and spade rudder, having sailed all last yr on candida--i think around the world is good in a full keel with attached rudder, unless ye do it accidentally in increments..LOL..

as far as hull speed-we made 10 kts in the lightning storms off florida last year with reduced sail:eek:..lol..is a fun boat to sail--:D..

Status
Not open for further replies.