Seidelmann 34 known issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

egent

Sep 6, 2012
C&C 36 Sassafrass MD
I am new to the forums. I am going this weekend to look at a Seidelmann 34 I found for sale. I want to know if there are any well known issues on these boats that I should be sure to check for. By this I mean things like the issue with the I-beam under compression post rusting away causing issues with deck sinking around the mast on some of the Hunters.

Jul 24, 2006
Legnos, Starwind, Regal Mystic 30 cutter, 22 trailer sailor, bow rider NEW PORT RICHEY, FL
try this site

I just checked and there are four brief reviews of the boat in question. "sailnet.com" click on the resources tab, then boat reviews, beginning with "S" then 34. They have positive reviews and list speed and pointability as some of the virtues.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
The mast is keel stepped on an aluminum casting mounted to a stainless plate that captures 4 keel bolts. Deck crushing from compression is one issue you won't have. Seidelmann's were built in the late 70s and early 80s think about a 30 year old car unless its been very well maintained it will probably need some or alot of love. The 34 was the last boat developed when I was still working there, If you have any specific questions once you see the boat please ask.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Surveyor said:
The mast is keel stepped on an aluminum casting mounted to a stainless plate that captures 4 keel bolts. Deck crushing from compression is one issue you won't have. Seidelmann's were built in the late 70s and early 80s think about a 30 year old car unless its been very well maintained it will probably need some or alot of love. The 34 was the last boat developed when I was still working there, If you have any specific questions once you see the boat please ask.
We are all here to help. What year are you looking at?

My 1984 aluminum mast step was severely corroded a few years ago but was easily replaced. No worry of the step mounted on top of SS plate since at least my had a thin layer of exopy between them. The corrosion is due to water in bilge. Ideally the step should have been raised some to avoid this but so it goes. My refit of the step on the mast included lots of paint on both surfaces between step and mast bottom as well as generous amounts of tefgel.

A fully painted bilge is a plus: examine wood in bilge since not all wood was encapsulated with glass.

No issues with keel, rudder or rudder post to note unless severe grounding occurred.

As surveyor said, the boat being at least twenty - seven years old so everything must be gone through. Updates / upgrades of wiring, hoses etc will most likely be needed as well as repairs / sealing if not already done of cored deck penetration areas and port lights. (Stations are in solid fiberglass so no worries)

Most items are typical of boats this age.

Let us know what you find.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I have seen in other Seidelmanns the thwart stringers under the floor have problems. They consist of wood that is fiberglassed in place from front to back to give the hull support thwart wise and also provide support for the subfloor and teak and holly plywood atop that. Well, the ends were not fiberglassed so that water could get into the wood and over time rot it and because the fiberglass casement was strong enough (thick enough) to support the floor and humans, it didn't matter so much, but on models where the mast compressed on this structure, there was a problem. Many are stating that aluminum steps were used, but if they are situated on top of this thwart structure, it could be a problem The S-34 was one of the later designs, so maybe Bob Seidelmann (now gone) corrected the problem. But, you might just want to check it out to be sure. It is all fixable, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.