Seeping around keel bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Williams

Would be interested in anyone expariencing / fixing a small seep around the keel bolts - just enought to keep things wet down there. 88Hunter30 Also, my nuts holding the bow pupit down are RUSTING ???? Sending ugly rust streaks down the sides of the hull below them - anyone had a simular experience - whats the fix besides removing and replacing the studs at the bottom of the pupit? Randy Williams Kemah Texas.

B

Bill Boyke

Working on the Keel seam this weekend

Discussions ran very high on that subject. I was intending to drop the keel and rebed the keel and bolts, but comments from the forum and discussions with Hunter Marine, I am going to clear the joint, fill and fair with epoxy, add a band of fiberglass and seal the joint. Eddie of Hunter Marine feels I would have much more problems if I split the keel. So I will see what happens this weekend.

B

Been there

Do you know the water is from outside?

On some Hunters, water trapped between the liner and the hull eventually manifests as weeps at the keel bolts. This is very annoying, and eventually it will turn into a leak at the keel seam. Fixing the seam won't fix the problem if (some of) the water is coming from elsewhere. You have to find out where the water is entering the boat, and fix it there.

B

bill walton

keel bolt leak

There are a number of postings in the archives about this subject. On our 42, we had leakage into the boat and a visible crack in the fairing material at the hull/keel joint. We had the keel dropped, a layer of 5200 was applied then the whole thing was reassembled. A couple of layers of mat around the joint and all has been hapy ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.