Seen in Saint Marys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
First: The strangest liveaboard I have seen yet.

The sails hoist up the aluminum frames on each side like upside down window blinds. The steps on each side of the hull are boxes that also serve as sponsons to increase stability. Their effect on resistance isn’t clear. Well, maybe it is.

No reported sightings of it under sail or whether it has lived up to its owner’s hopes.

Even stranger:

I just a few days ago saw a photo and explanation of an exceedingly rare cloud formation called a “Hole Punch Cloud” or “Sky Punch”. The mechanism isn’t completely understood but is believed to be ice crystals forming above a cloud layer and the cooled air and crystals then falling through the cloud tearing out a round hole that makes people think of UFO motherships.

I was walking around town waiting for the snack bar to open so I could buy ice when I looked up and saw one.

It held its shape for a remarkably long time after the tail of falling ice crystals had disappeared.

More on this phenomenon here:

http://www.weathervortex.com/sky-holes.htm

To be seen in Saint Marys Sunday:

Oprah! Coming with her show “Lovetown USA” . There will be a rally and party on the waterfront at which up to 20,000 people are expected. The town started filling up with production crews this morning, the apparent population doubling within the space of an hour.

http://www.oprah.com/own/Lovetown-USA-About-the-Show

Not to be seen in Saint Marys on Sunday:

Me.

A nice breeze was coming up as I rowed the ice out to the boat and the noseeums had been plaguing me the whole time I was waiting for it so I sailed over to Cumberland Island. I love it when I can raise the anchor and set it again without ever turning on the engine, especially when I can sit in the cockpit afterwards and watch wild horses walking along the shore 100 yards away.

It's going to be a real buffet for those noseeums on Sunday.

MrUnix

Mar 24, 2010
Hunter 23 Gainesville, FL
Can't imagine those sails would last long in any kind of a breeze.. but the frames look like darn good solar panel mounts :)

Cheers,
Brad

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Posing as an odd sailboat, this Cuba spy ship listens in on the east coast with antennas posing as a sailing rig!

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 30 Mandeville, La.
Ice crystals huh, sounds like "they" got to you. I suppose next you'll be telling us that crop circles are the work of a bunch of potheads with measuring tapes?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Andy, that "someones experiment" is no Cuban spy ship; they get their up to the minute intelligence reports directly from CNN.

Nov 22, 2008
they get their up to the minute intelligence reports directly from CNN.
More likely Fox News. One thing I've learned, after a couple awkward moments, about being in the south is that you have to adopt as a working assumption that every local you talk to thinks the world was created 4000 years ago and Obama is a foreign born Al-Qaida mole. Not everyone, or even a majority, holds this world view, of course. However, enough do that you have to be quite careful about careless statements and feel your way delicately around to alternative viewpoints in conversation.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
More likely Fox News. One thing I've learned, after a couple awkward moments, about being in the south is that you have to adopt as a working assumption that every local you talk to thinks the world was created 4000 years ago and Obama is a foreign born Al-Qaida mole. Not everyone, or even a majority, holds this world view, of course. However, enough do that you have to be quite careful about careless statements and feel your way delicately around to alternative viewpoints in conversation.
Being very cautious about wading into political commentary -- I'd say there is more than enough 'extremism' on both ends of the spectrum. So, it generally seems prudent to avoid engaging in the subject with anyone, including some close friends ...:stirthepot: Might not be safe to assume we get any saner as you travel north - excluding those of us on this forum of course.

...4000 years ago? I thought we were dropped in more recently by strangers from elsewhere in the universe......:confused:

Nov 22, 2008
Might not be safe to assume we get any saner as you travel north -
True. My son had his best friend over when he was very young and I was talking to the friend's mother who had come to pick him up. She mentioned that he would be going to a private christian school the next year because they didn't want him taught evolution. I was caught totally by surprise so there was a loud "clunk" as my jaw dropped far enough to hit the table.

I tried to recover but not quickly enough. She dragged her son out of there pretty quickly and we never saw them again. Poor Joe kept asking when he could play with Ryan. He was too young for us to figure out how to explain that his friends parents didn't want them to play together anymore because his mother and I believed bad things. We just kept making vague excuses until he forgot. We probably could have handled it better but we were young too.

It's a matter of degree. It's rare enough in New England that I only have this story to tell. Down here, I've learned to keep the conversation pretty much to:

"Nice weather"

"Yeah, not too many bugs today." (As I wave my hands trying to see through the cloud to the person I'm talking to.)

The mosquitoes are just as thick in Maine, BTW.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
You are a very wise man Jim. Having family members of the opposite persuasion I learned long ago to avoid politics as a topic. With anyone! Now I am at the age where they can't hurt me. I vote but I don't care. Let my grandkids figure it out because I never could.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Ed - Several advantages to getting older (and retired): you can say what you think and let the chips fall; you don't risk getting fired because of your views; and you generally don't get asked questions by people who suspect they may not like the answers....

Nov 7, 2009
Hunter 22 bloomington,in
I like most of these replies but after thinking about it for a while I think I am going with the Cuban spy ship

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I think that boat would be the cat's meow on movie night, what a screen. Roger don't come back too soon you'll spoil the surprise.
All U Get

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Seriously. I mean seriously, what is that thing. It can't possibly sail...................can it?

Status
Not open for further replies.