Seeking info re: O'day 265 designed for racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Bush

I've just purchased an "O'day class 265, hull #14432" manf. in Brampton, Ontario Canada and I am looking for any information about the boat. She's in great shape, has a huge cockpit and small cabin that would sleep 2. Has a head, but the rest of the cabin has been pretty much gutted. I would love to restore to original condition/look, but have no idea as to what she looked like. The hull is perfect! Just completely reworked... Help from anyone out there would be appreciated. The quotation marks above were placed on purpose! I have been unable to find anything on the internet like it. The boat has a 6 hp outdrive that is actually encased in the rear... All the other O'day's I've seen have the outdrive exposed. Help please.

D

Don Evans

Sounds Like An Outlaw Ed

Here is a copy from the archives on another query posted earlier: Actually there are still a few around Ontario. The licence to build them in Canada was granted to an Ontario builder. The design went on to become the Northern 25, a very popular boat, and again many are still around. The Outlaw is pretty long in the tooth, and unless very well maintained, most would have seen the ravages of time. Here is a breif synopsis from Mike McIntires' Onofficial O'Day site: My boat was made in Brampton Ontario, Canada and I have met the builder. He went on to form Northern Yachts in Ajax. There are quite a number of Northerns sailing in this area. The Oday Outlaw was redesigned and had a Fin Keel added to replace the full keel and that boat became the Northern 25. There is another Oday Outlaw at the Oshawa Yacht Club but I don't know its age or or hull No. When the boat was redesigned, a foot was taken off the stern and the cabin space was enlarged. The boat also got a lot lighter as they had found out at that time just how strong fiberglass was and they didn't have to use as much lay-up as they were previously to get a strong boat. Boats of the age that mine is tend to be very strong and although heavy for a 26 footer, she is very responsive and fast. The overall design is similar to that of an Alberg 30 if you are familiar with that boat. There is a reverse transom and the outboard sits in a well covered by a lazarrete. The whole picture looks very clean. Because of the weight and hull design (Wineglass shape) the boat is very seakind and does not pond even in the heaviest seas. The baby sister of the outlaw was the cruising version of the Oday Tempest. Don ps: Ed check the archive for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.