Seeking help: Hunter 26 Trailer Issues and Part

May 6, 2022
Hunter 26 Driveway
Hi there, I have a 1994 Hunter 26 on a galvanized trailer which you can read more about here.

1. The tongue extension gets stuck when trying to slide back in to towing position and it's nearly impossible to line up the holes to accept the pin. I spent nearly two hours trying to get holes lined up so I could insert the pin before deciding to use a temporary solution / thinner pin to get the boat home. Any tricks for making this easier?

2. To avoid having to mess with this sliding tongue extension, does anyone recommend an aftermarket version I could purchase?

3. I need a new round cap for the brake system on the trailer coupler. Any idea where I can order one?

4. The trailer coupler is difficult to unhitch from the ball because the underjaw remains engaged. Any solutions for making hitching/unhitching easier?

5. Any recommendations of what to look for in a trailer repair company? Hoping I can find a mobile service in Omaha, NE to come out and take care of this.

Here are some annotated photos to demonstrate the issues.
1654380663046.png

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
1. The tongue extension gets stuck when trying to slide back in to towing position and it's nearly impossible to line up the holes to accept the pin. I spent nearly two hours trying to get holes lined up so I could insert the pin before deciding to use a temporary solution / thinner pin to get the boat home. Any tricks for making this easier?
Take a look for any bumps or dents in the tongue and extension tubes. This can make it very difficult to slide it. Worse case scenario you could put some waterproof grease on it. Green Grease has performed very well in Practical Sailor magazine's tests.

For precise alignment use a pin that's tapered at the end and lightly tap it in. The extension will move as you tap the pin. Alternatively you could buy a tapered pin to simply get it aligned and then put the normal pin in. Ideally you wouldnt have to do any tapping. Try to address the sliding issues first

Once you have it lined up put a mark on the part that slides out. This mark will be lined up with the edge of the trailer tongue tubing. This way you can pull the extension out without having to constantly run back and forth to check the hole
3. I need a new round cap for the brake system on the trailer coupler. Any idea where I can order one?
Find the manufacturer/model of your coupler. Contact eTrailer if you can't find it. They have excellent customer support and will most likely have the part in stock

• Helpful
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
For the tongue there are a few tricks with this you can use what works for you.

For easiest extension/retraction- jack up tongue, disconnect from tow vehicle, loosen trailer winch. It should move fairly easily with the induced bow removed.

You can block wheels front and stern of trailer. Loosen winch and use vehicle to push in and pull out. Requires more force than above as there is some bow in extending and friction due to tongue weight.

Last is to just block the wheels and use vehicle to push in/pull out. This method requires the greatest force as you have the bow from tongue weight, friction of extension tube and bowing due to the trailer winch tension.

If the pin is long enough - grind a fairly sharp cone on the end and carry a biggish hammer to drive it in. Seldom requires more than one attempt and a few minutes to accomplish. Also easier with winch loosened as it allows extension to slide onto rear bracket easier.

Likely need to replace whole brake actuator/hitch as it is probably corroded/rusted and no longer operational. This would also address the bottom portion not disengaging. Again likely due to rust. They are not a particularly expensive item to replace. You will need to match to type of brakes - drum/disk and possibly how many axles have brakes.

A good time to address other brake components as well.

If I was looking for a place to service our trailer I would look to places that might do big rig trailers. However most trailer work can be handled yourself if your reasonably handy and have the equipment to.take appropriate safety precautions.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Concerning your problem with sliding the extension back, try loosening the winch up some on the boat first. With some trailers I've had I found that having the boat cranked on tight flexes the trailer some and puts enough pressure on the tube to make retracting the extension back in a real problem. Tighten the winch back up when you're done. Also, pick up a smaller prybar or the like with a pointed end on one end. Use it from underneath the pin hole to line things up as you put the pin in from the top.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020
catalina C-22 4980 channel islands CA
I have a catalina 22 with an extendable tongue. When i first purchased, the extension was rusty so I cleaned off the rust on the extension and used a pice of 1.5 x 1.5 inch wood and some sand paper to remove as much of the rust inside the reciever part of the trailer. I then painted
everything I could reach. I put grease the bottom of the extension bar, twice a year I put fresh grease after cleaning off the old grease . I only put it on the bottom so it is not as messy on the sides and I dont get it on me when launching and retrieving. I am not picky about brand since I change it twice a year and it is not critical like a bearing, so I get cheap grease just for this.

I also have to remove the trailer from tow vehicle to move it or it binds up. I use a piece of chain to chock the
wheel on the jack when I remove it from the truck. once it is extended I hook back up. I also grease my trailer ball and the inside of the tongue latch to make it latch and unlatch easier.

good luck,
Dano

May 6, 2022
Hunter 26 Driveway
Thanks for all of the advise! Was successful returning the tongue extension to the towing position by sanding down the extension with 40 grit sandpaper, lubricating the bottom with green grease and a hammer for the pin (it was already tapered).

I'm going to find a deeper ramp next weekend. :)