Seeking Advice for New headsail 37c

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
I have just aquired Jolly Roger,which is on the hard. I'm wanting to install a roller furling setup and will be getting a new head sail. Instead of the Yankee cut, I was thinking of a 100%, maybe 110, full jib. The biggest drawback I can think of is loosing the beauty of wtin Yankees deployed. I don't mind rolling it up, if needed, to tack, assuming I get a good roller setup. Any advice, scorn or ridicule is welcome :) . Seeking response about which roller is good also, and going with a full cut jib.
Regards, Terry

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
What are the winds like in your sailing grounds?

I just ordered a new jib for my O’Day 322, and moved down from a 150 genoa to a 135. I have to reef the 155 when ever the winds pick up and that is pretty frequently in my sailing grounds on Lake aMichigan (they don’t call Chicago “the windy city“ for nothing :what:).

I think the Yankee gives you better visibility, I cannot see under my 155. I had my 135 cut about 6” shorter so it doesn’t wear on my pulpit, and maybe I can see under it a bit better:confused:

I can’t help with any specific sailing characteristics of your Hunter 37. Is it a fractional rig, or (I assume) mast head?

Do you really think you will be going wing-on-wing a lot? Are you going to be crossing long distances or day sailing? I hardly ever pull my A-spin out of the bag because I don’t want to set it up unless I am going to sailing in light winds a looonnnggg way. Mostly I am day sailing.

Congrats on your new boat. Nothing like learning all about it, figuring out how to sail (and dock) her, maintaining and cleaning her…buying new toys, etc.

Greg

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Lots of discussion here on SBO about the merits of sloop versus cutter rig for the H37C, as a quick search will show. The take away (IMO) is that the sloop rig is a bit better for upwind performance while the cutter rig is more convenient when sailing solo or short-handed. The boat was designed as a cutter, so the stock furlers (probably long since replaced) were undersized for a big genoa.
37 cutter to sloop

Jul 27, 2022
Hunter Cutter 37 Philadelphia
Going into my 35th season on Alpha, I've had all manner of head sails from the 70% Yankee to a 150 genoa. Never had any issue with the larger sail on the head stay.

The question above on your local winds is key ! The 37C gets happy at 16 knots plus with the 70 yankee and cutter. The substantial hull and weight makes for a comfortable sail in those winds when new, lighter boats are tossed about. The large genoa does hull speed, especially on a reach in 11-12 knots.

If the reach is broad the asymmetrical spinnaker gives hull speed at 9-10 knots.

The big genoa and asymmetrical spinnaker require more skilled crew.

The visibility and pointing high comment above should be considered too in your sail selection.

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
Going into my 35th season on Alpha, I've had all manner of head sails from the 70% Yankee to a 150 genoa. Never had any issue with the larger sail on the head stay.

The question above on your local winds is key ! The 37C gets happy at 16 knots plus with the 70 yankee and cutter. The substantial hull and weight makes for a comfortable sail in those winds when new, lighter boats are tossed about. The large genoa does hull speed, especially on a reach in 11-12 knots.

If the reach is broad the asymmetrical spinnaker gives hull speed at 9-10 knots.

The big genoa and asymmetrical spinnaker require more skilled crew.

The visibility and pointing high comment above should be considered too in your sail selection.
I think I've decided to stay with the Yankee until I've sailed her a bit. Seems silly to spend money without knowing what the Baseline is. There are light winds in Florida for a good part of the year. I live on the east coast.