Secure the companionway ladder

Mar 18, 2014
Catalina 30 Vancouver
My ladder has a habit of popping out of its place. I'd like a way to keep it in place. I believe my setup is original. The brackets look like this:

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1417_417/companionway-ladder-bracketbr.cfm

My ladder slips into the bracket. There is noting to keep the ladder in place. Over time the base of the ladder slips toward the stern, the ladder raises up and eventually slides out of the bracket. The ladder then looks like it is secure in place but it's not.

Any tips on how to keep the ladder in place?

Thanks all.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Barrel bolts, thumb latches, whatever. Do you remove the ladder in the normal course of events? If you don't want to attach the ladder at the base to keep it "Down" and secured by the slotted fittings on the top of the ladder, then you have to keep it from "riding up".

I've seen the results of someone stepping "down" to only find that there isn't a ladder down there -- it's not pretty (even if you manage to catch yourself before you really crash).

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We use four non-skid stick-ons on the bottom of the bottom of the ladder. Been fine for 18 years we've owned this 30 year old boat.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Secure is relative. I'd be concerned if you drop the boat off of a wave or get knocked around or (not necessarily completely) down,

Mar 18, 2014
Catalina 30 Vancouver
You can see in one of these pix:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/6008212176.html
I added a piece of wood under the brackets.
This stops any movement of the brackets
and gives extra support.
I can see the block of wood, but I confess I can't figure out what it does. It seems to be under the bracket. Don't you need to stop the ladder brackets from rising up?
Barrel bolts, thumb latches, whatever. Do you remove the ladder in the normal course of events? If you don't want to attach the ladder at the base to keep it "Down" and secured by the slotted fittings on the top of the ladder, then you have to keep it from "riding up".

I've seen the results of someone stepping "down" to only find that there isn't a ladder down there -- it's not pretty (even if you manage to catch yourself before you really crash).
Interesting idea. A barrel bolt like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/AjustLock-Bar...=1487818939&sr=8-1&keywords=barrel+bolt+brass

I install the main piece of the bolt and toss the piece the bolt locks into. I can slide the bolt out and lock it in place just above where the latch on the ladder rests against the companionway.

Thanks.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Stainless Steel (not brass or zinc, I'd suggest).
There are other pieces of sailboat hardware that you could use. I'd use one on each side, if it were me.

Feb 15, 2014
Catalina 30 Bremerton, WA
How 'bout a picture of what you're having
trouble with? I can't picture what is the
problem.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
IMG_0343.JPG Ours fits tight into a teak stop at the foot of the ladder.

All U GetIMG_0342.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks all. You got me thinking about the unsecured ladder issue plaguing my boat. Oh fun another issue to address. Well better now then when I'm in the cockpit and the succor falls. Then the 5 ft drop to the cabin sole might be a bit of a challenge.

Mar 18, 2014
Catalina 30 Vancouver
I installed a barrel bolt at the top of the ladder. I had to drill a few holes, being careful not to drill through to the outside. With the bolt unlatched the ladder goes on and off fine. when I close the bolt the ladder can't slip up and stays put. I used a two and a half inch barrel bolt. It only goes halfway across the wood but I think that will be enough. I went with the brass unit for aesthetic reasons. I hope I won't regret the decision.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
IMG_3893.JPG

Apr 25, 2020
Catalina 34 Sandusky, Oh
Hey Dave, We are having similar problems on our '91 Catalina 34.

How did this solution work out for you? Did the brass hold up? Did the screws stay tight in the wall?

Thanks in advance.