Secondary fuel supply

Apr 14, 2016
Hunter legend Hunter 460 Liverpool
That question sums it up well. The answer obviously is ‘maybe, maybe not.

The question now becomes - Why create a redundancy which isn’t dependable?
To have this redundancy provision is better than none at all?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am a :plus: with @Don S/V ILLusion .

If the clogging occurs in the tank it is most often a clogged screen.

Why install a screen? To stop the big clogs from getting sucked up into the engine.

Problem is the tank line screen is not easily visible. A solution is to remove the screen and install a visible inline filter. Sure the junk gets sucked up but it gets stopped in the 30micron filter and drops to the bottom of the view glass. 30microns is a more fine filter than the screen.

It is a better solution ( my opinion). You can use it as a polishing tool. Give it a consideration.

Oct 22, 2014
Then if the jam problem is the concern then install two filters with a switch valve to cause fuel to go to the clean filter.

Apr 14, 2016
Then if the jam problem is the concern then install two filters with a switch valve to cause fuel to go to the clean filter.
Hopefully the obstruction will not clog the intake pipe before it gets to the filter?

Oct 22, 2014
Hopefully the obstruction will not clog the intake pipe before it gets to the filter?
That is always a possibility. Some boats were built with a screen on the intake. The screens do get clogged. But unlike the filter they are not in a place where yo can observe the clog. So you are guessing. It is the reason I remove screens and make the intake pipe an open source of fuel and any debris. Suck it up to the filter. The filter and any gunk can be seen and removed before it causes a serious problem.

It is wise to occasionally inspect the filter and the bowl for problems.

Apr 14, 2016
That is always a possibility. Some boats were built with a screen on the intake. The screens do get clogged. But unlike the filter they are not in a place where yo can observe the clog. So you are guessing. It is the reason I remove screens and make the intake pipe an open source of fuel and any debris. Suck it up to the filter. The filter and any gunk can be seen and removed before it causes a serious problem.

It is wise to occasionally inspect the filter and the bowl for problems.
And if the obstruction is blocking at the intake and cannot go up to the filter?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
; what may have plugged one tube may shortly plug the 2nd tube.
I'd believe the dirt in the tank is on the bottom except in choppy conditions. The shorter tube would be marginally shorter than the first, otherwise a partially emptied tank would render the short tube high and dry.

Oct 22, 2014
And if the obstruction is blocking at the intake and cannot go up to the filter?
If it gets to that point there is really only one solution. You need to extract the intake and clear it as well as the hose line between the intake and the filter. You should also inspect the tank bottom and remove the obstructions.

Additives can help to reduce the issue in the future.

Apr 14, 2016
I'd believe the dirt in the tank is on the bottom except in choppy conditions. The shorter tube would be marginally shorter than the first, otherwise a partially emptied tank would render the short tube high and dry.
Agreed.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Maintaining good clean fuel is the answer.

Putting a reliable fuel source in your tank is a good start.

My source has biocide and clean their tanks once every 2 years.:biggrin:
My fuel filters have 3 years on them. Not a bit of filtrate or pressure difference on the Raycor 500 filter.
Jim..