Secondary fuel supply

Apr 14, 2016
Hunter legend Hunter 460 Liverpool
I am considering joining the generator fuel supply line to the engine supply line through a switched valve. I consider that this will give me an alternative fuel source line in the event my main engine supply gets blocked. Has anybody done this?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Interesting redundancy consideration but the most common place where any blockage might occur is at the pick-up tube

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Rct, I assume both come from the same tank so whatever blocked your engine intake will eventually block the generator intake as well. Seems a bit of unnecessary redundancy. IMHO

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Yes, I have done this in my 41DS. Installed valve so for main engine I can choose between normal fuel supply or in an emergency generator fuel supply. No problems in over 8 years. FYI, Hunter installed at factory two fuel pick-up tubes, at different heights.

Apr 14, 2016
Yes, I have done this in my 41DS. Installed valve so for main engine I can choose between normal fuel supply or in an emergency generator fuel supply. No problems in over 8 years. FYI, Hunter installed at factory two fuel pick-up tubes, at different heights.
Thanks for the reply. This is only to be used in an emergency and the fact that the two fuel pickup tunes are at different heights would allow the boat to get out of a tricky situation- a situation that normal occurs in bad weather when the tank fuel is swishing about.
Rob

Apr 14, 2016
Rct, I assume both come from the same tank so whatever blocked your engine intake will eventually block the generator intake as well. Seems a bit of unnecessary redundancy. IMHO
But as an emergency measure?

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for the reply. This is only to be used in an emergency and the fact that the two fuel pickup tunes are at different heights would allow the boat to get out of a tricky situation- a situation that normal occurs in bad weather when the tank fuel is swishing about.
Rob
I’m still trying to figure this out so please bear with me.

Does your engine normally draw off the higher tube?

Apr 14, 2016
Just keep your tank clean and don't worry about it. Seems like you are focusing on the wrong issue.
Depends on the quality of fuel that is available and the capability of cleaning your tank on a passage. I see nothing wrong in having a redundancy provision that is provided by a simple link.

Apr 14, 2016
Still confused ( my wife says that’s normal).

If your engine normally ‘picks up’ from the bottom tube and it starts sucking air or gunk from the bottom, how would switching the valve to a higher pick-up tube help?
That tube would unlikely to be blocked as well and the engine fuel pump would obtain fuel from that tube.

Sep 25, 2008
That tube would unlikely to be blocked as well and the engine fuel pump would obtain fuel from that tube.
Not if it’s higher in the same fuel mixture. Don’t see how this would help with a fuel mix causing a clog but it probably can’t hurt anything. Frankly, it sounds to me like a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist but we’ve probably all done that too.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
On long trips I have a full jerry can that would act as a second supply. Had to do this on another boat as the main tank was full of junk that would fowl the main filters in no time. You just have to have the return go to the jerry can as well as the pick up.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
There are two tubes - it is unlikely that they would both block at the same time
Not that unlikely since both tubes are picking up from the same open tank; what may have plugged one tube may shortly plug the 2nd tube.