Second set of jib winches

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Having a 1990 C30 with a wheel pedestal in the cockpit and mid-boom sheeting, tends to make getting to the jib winches difficult if behind the wheel. It really gets awkward when there is a boat load of guests. Typically under sail I will sit just in front of the wheel or up on the coaming so I have access to both winches to tack and of course, the main sheet controls. I do get tired sometimes of side sitting with my head turned forward and I was thinking about putting in a second set of 40's or 42's further aft to facilitate tacking from behind the wheel. On a previous boat (Morgan 34) I did this and it worked great but the mainsheet was aft so all the controls where accessible from behind the wheel.
Has anyone done this on their C30?

azguy

Aug 23, 2012
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
I've been on several 30's, if I owned on this would be the first thing I would do.

I rented one about 3 weeks ago and to tack I had to get in front of the wheel and perform the tack and then get back behind the wheel. Not ideal at all.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I dont see why it wouldnt work out great... better placement for single handing, and when fully crewed and your flying a spin, you have dedicated winches for the spin sheets.