Second question (outboard shaft length).....

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
On the Capri I am buying the motor mount looks like it is sitting in the standard location.

What is the recommended shaft length for an outboard? I am planning on getting rid of the Mercury 4HP 4 stroke and buy a Torqueedo 1003 which comes either with a 23" or 28" shaft.

The current motor must be a 20" version but have not seen the actual engine yet (tomorrow during survey).
I assume the 23" would be good in the water and won't drag if lifted up?

Attachments

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Doing some more research as I was wondering based on the design of the Torqeedo if we are comparing apples with apples or oranges.

And in fact contrary to industry convention, Torqeedo measures the shaft length from the inside of the bearing surface of the mount to the center of the propeller, which translates ~in a 5-6 inch necessary deduction from the stated length to make it comparable.

See post: http://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/to ... avel-1003/

So I guess the long shaft with 28" (~22" comparable) it is.....

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
That motor looks like a 20 inch "long shaft" 15" is usually "standard" and 25" is "extra long shaft."

Just how it used to be anyway. The answer to HOW long a shaft outboard motor you need depends on your waters. Flat lakes, can use short... any kind of shop you'll need at least long... "extra long shaft" for more open water. No amount of length can help though when you have 6-8 foot rollers, then inboard is the only way to go.

My S2 7.9 I'm running a long... but was able to get away with just a short on our lake and it worked real well until it was blowing over 20 knots. The Capri 22 is a light boat with a short waterline, so it bounces significantly, get as long a shaft as you can afford, and/or reposition the motor mount on it's lowest setting without dragging while in the "up" position.