Second Bilge pump

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
1992 Hunter 30 T
has anyone added a second bilge pump? Where? The bilge is very shallow but it seems a bit underwhelming to have only one pump. I have never spent a lot of money for pumps, only typical Attwood, Rule, etc. I know that there are some high end pumps that I have seen on charter boats. Maybe I am just a little paranoid since the eye of a hurricane is passing over my boat at Bald Head Island as I write this.
Thanks,
Steve

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good plan if you have room!! My sailboat has 2 electric bilge pumps: Primary RULE 1500 w/ Rule-A-Matic float switch and Secondary RULE 4000 w/ Rule-A-Matic float switch, wired to bilge water alarm.

1596549105278.png

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
I don't know where put it maybe infront water heater. Under kitchen sink. It needs be low to be any help.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
If you get offshore any distance a second pump is prudent. In particular, a manual pump. It is a good idea to have the manual pump in the cockpit where you can operate it from the helm. Also a good idea to have yet another one in the cabin below where it can be operated out of the weather and / or by a second person so you can take turns.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Two bilge pumps is a prudent choice in my opinion. My primary bilge pump is on a digital cycle counter so it can’t mask a minor problem until it becomes a bigger one. The secondary pump is on an alarm. Both have fused connections direct to separate batteries.
I also have two manual hand pumps for emergencies. Thankfully have never needed them.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Everyone seems to treat the bilge pump like a safety item which in reality is a mere convenience item to facilitate the removal of incidental water that collects in the bilge. I can see if someone wants to provide a backup to the bilge pump but would like for them to understand they are just providing a convenience back up. It is important to realize that the new backup pump must have its own separate dischage thru hull line. Avoid the use of check valves. In the case of a shallow bilge where the backup pump cannot be mounted mounted above the usual waterline You would basically just have two pumps working in tandem with a higher power consumption. The real world pumping capacity of these small electrical pumps are about 1/4 of their rated capacity. They are bench rated with no loads. When in use heat, load of lifting water and inneficiecies greatly reduces their capacity. These pumps cannot fight any significant water intrusion from a broken hose or the smallest hole in the hull. Another misconception is that the bigger the boat, the larger the pump should be when in reality is the smaller vessels that will fill up the faster. My recommendation, is that if the bilge is too shallow to properly install a back up pump it is not worth it to drill a new thru hull discharge port. The best safety practice is to frequently inspect all hoses, clamps and thru hull fixtures and valves. Promptly correct any rain leaks or others that may develop. Also skimp on the use of water when washing the boat. Water from dripping bathing suits, galley spills and plumbing leaks all end up in the bilge. Just for info, some boat owners install a 120V sump pump to be used at the dock when connected to shorepower. Now that can provide a bit of safety. Like others have recommended for safety you could also install a manual gusher pump that can be operated from the cockpit.

Last edited: