Seawater Inlet Hose

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I just replaced my seawater pump on my 3YM30 and the new unit went in fine until the final step. The hose from the thru hull to the seawater pump would not fit onto the inlet of the pump. It seems the bore size of the inlet pipe has been increased in diameter. The hose is black with a green stripe and says "HARDWALL 100-0580". (maybe 5/8" ID?)
Can I enlarge the end of the current hose or make the hose more pliable or should I add a length of 3/4" hose on the end using a brass reducer type connector?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello lehighsail, Pictures would be helpful. Does "hardwall" mean there is a wire stiffener in the wall of the tubing or is it actually "hard"? I have been successful in removing some of the stiffener wire in hoses around the engine. I'm not sure how other members will feel about that process, but it might be helpful in sliding the hose onto a barbed fitting. If you choose that plan......grab the end of the wire with a pliers and pull out a wrap or a bit more of the wire. Then clip off the exposed wire and try to slide the softer end onto the barb fitting. Only remove enough stiffener wire to allow fitting completely onto the barb. That will keep the softer hose under the two (2) stainless steel hose clamps you install at that end. Be sure to double clamp the other end too.

Other idea: change to larger tubing. That is probably the better idea since the 5/8 will restrict the flow. Of course then you need to deal with the other end of the tubing!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had same problem on my 2007 H-36 /3YM30 and my inlet sea water hose had a bend
to go on sea water pump and the hose seemed to restrict water flow so got a new hose but
one size kind of small and next size too big.
The bend at the end going on pump was very hard to do so got longer hose and some how forced the hose on with 2 clamps the best I could I tried many things and think some kind of
lube to get enough together 2 clamps and hose is longer with less of a bend.
Nick

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If the hose hasn't been changed in a while, it is probably a good idea to replace the hose. A bronze adapter is a better choice than brass for a connection to sea water. Groco and Apollo make a variety of them.