Seaward Princess

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Hello everyone
It sounds like the name of my boat but no, it is my 3 burner LPG boat stove, made by Seaward Inc in 1994.
The oven pilot light will not stay on, just opening the door a little bit is enough to extinguish it, it has a really small flame to start with.
Any body know if i can clean it or do something to fix it or can i replace the pilot light.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty sure there is an adjustment screw for that on the thermostat under the top cover. It might have a + and - sign on it. Looks like the pilot nozzle might need cleaning too. Small wire brush, carefully applied.

EDIT: Pilot is orifice controlled.. could be a bit of trash in orifice.. Orifice is aluminum and easy to ruin with wire.. be careful when cleaning.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Hello everyone
It sounds like the name of my boat but no, it is my 3 burner LPG boat stove, made by Seaward Inc in 1994.
The oven pilot light will not stay on, just opening the door a little bit is enough to extinguish it, it has a really small flame to start with.
Any body know if i can clean it or do something to fix it or can i replace the pilot light.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ian,

If it was working fine before try cleaning the pilot light orifice first. It is inside the lower nut on the far right. Could also be a bad regulator or stuck solenoid. Do you have good gas pressure for the burners?.....

The pilot flame hood also seems awfully straight. It is supposed to have a downward bend to it. Yours looks as if it got bent up... That could be causing it as well..

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Pilot lights should not be used on a boat. You should shut off the supply with an electric solenoid for safety and therefore a pilot light would go out as well. Newer stoves have an electric starter. I suggest you get a long propane lighter and use it instead.
Lee

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The pilot light in the oven allows the thermostat to regulate the temperature. Otherwise the oven just gets hotter and hotter.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
And I thought this thread was going to be another horror story about an encounter with a cruise ship! Way disappointed, I must say.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Whatya sayin' Capta? Bait and switch? The gal in the flowers certainly caught my eye. ;)

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
What Steve said, suremarine has a great site on trouble shooting stoves.

Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for all your assistance, i will initially try and unscrew and clean it before going any further.
Rod, all the burners are working fine, including the oven so pressure is there, its just the pilot flame. Haven't seen you out on the water this year?
The link was helpful, hadn't realize how expensive these marine stoves are.

Feb 6, 1998
Thanks for all your assistance, i will initially try and unscrew and clean it before going any further.
Rod, all the burners are working fine, including the oven so pressure is there, its just the pilot flame. Haven't seen you out on the water this year?
The link was helpful, hadn't realize how expensive these marine stoves are.
A lot of our cruising has been up in Pen Bay & Mid coast.

Yes these stoves are very expensive. We just replaced our old 3 burner Seaward/Hillerange due to parts becoming scarce and it being 32 years old.. The new Force 10 is great but the polished SS finish is a nightmare to keep clean!

I currently have two customers with dead ovens (top burners still work) because the oven control valve or oven thermostat is no longer available..

Feb 21, 2011
Hunter 410 Lorain
The Admiral tried using our Seaward 3-burner stove/oven the first season we had our 2000 Hunter 410. It worked for about 5 minutes and then quit. Since then she won't use it anymore. I gave the solinoid a whack with a hammer and it seems to have fixed it - but she still won't use it. Sigh. . . . Captain Bill on STARGAZER

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Why is Lee being ignored about NOT having a pilot light on a boat? Logic seems to indicate that he is correct. Can someone enlighten us? Chief

Feb 6, 1998
Why is Lee being ignored about NOT having a pilot light on a boat? Logic seems to indicate that he is correct. Can someone enlighten us? Chief
These are NOT standing pilots. They are pilots that control the main burner flame WHEN THE UNIT IS OPERATING. The main burner has to cycle on & off in order to maintain an oven temp and the pilot is what allows it to relight itself when the thermostat calls for more heat.

When you turn the dial or oven off the pilot light also goes out. Nearly every boat made prior to mercury being removed from the oven control components has the configuration the OP has.

The portion of the standards that applies to oven burners would be this:

All appliances shall have flame failure devices on all burners, and pilot lights, that will prevent gas from flowing to the burner if flame is not present.

Ian's oven has this. Newer ranges use "step fired" oven valves that modulate from high to low controlled by the t-stats set point. Older ovens used an on-off main burner and the pilot re-ignited it when "on" and the t-stat called and shut off when the t-stat said "too hot"....

Feb 2, 2010
Kloudie1
thanks for the link, that really does explain it all, particularly the hi/lo option. Cleaning out the pilot orifice would seem to be the cure.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 26 Illinois
Thermocouple?

It looks to me like the thermocouple is damaged. The thermocouple sends a signal to the gas controller to tell it that the pilot is on and gas is not filling the oven. The cheapest first fix in this situation is to replace it.

May 12, 2017
Irwin 38cc mkll Manhattan Beach, CA
What is the trick to lifting up the stove top to clean under the burners? I feel like an idiot.....can't figure it out.