Seaward Alchohol Stove Concensus

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mark Magee

I have a Seaward Alcohol galley stove in my 86 C-30. I am replacing the alcohol tank presently to return it to working order. My question is, in light of all factors, (industry moved completely to propane/cng etc). If one of the old pressurized Seaward ranges is in good condition (mine is), is it worth a little $$ to get it working. Or are these press'd alchohol stoves too finincky/dangerous/unsupported as to make some of you decide to wait until the $$ come in for propane retrofit. Any and all feedback appreciated

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

What I chose

I was faced with the same decision a month or two ago. I had a '73 pressurized stove that had NOT been maintained at all. This made for a stinky boat & fluky flame. I hated pumping the tank up & the huge flame. So I did a little research. Everyone said to clean it, so I took it home (and apart) to do so. I quickly realized I would need to repair the burners so I called the manufacturer who referred me to the company that services their products now. Repair kits, not replacement kits, but *repair* kits were $30 EACH!!! Woulda cost about $150 to send it in for them to do it. For a crappy little alcohol stove??? No way! I looked around & old pressure stoves were going for somewhere around the $100 range for really, really nice ones. Mine was definitely not nice. Interestingly, I found several Origo non-pressurized stove-tops around for just a little more. I ended up buying a friend's old one for about the same as it would have cost to send my unit in for repair! Origo's have a pan of sorts filled with a non-flammable wicking. You pour the alcohol in & light it. No pumping, no flare ups, no cleaning (well, you know what I mean). A passive alcohol stove - it's great & I don't know anyone who owns one who doesn't like it. The only reason my friend sold it to me was cuz he was replacing it with propane. Propane can cost quite a lot but I'm sure it would increase the value of your boat tremendously. Good luck! LaDonna

R

Richard

maybe

If the repairs are minimal (tank replacement is easy to come by at a swap meet, etc) then fix it. I seldom use mine, but I did repair the tank. If you plan to cook often then I would change to propane or cng (propane is easier to find). Richard

B

Bob Camarena

I Converted to Propane

I converted to propane. It's an expensive project but not too difficult and worth it if you spend a lot of time on your boat. I lucked out and found an almost new Force 10 range w/oven for $500. Check out the West Marine catalog and you can get a good idea of the cost. The catalog has a pretty good write up on what's necessary. They have a nice, small locker/tank/solenoid combo by Seward that fits in my stern lazerette. Figure $200 for the tank/locker/solenoid/switch, $350-$800 for the stove, $150 for an alarm/sensor (optional but recommended) + $50 or so for misc hoses, fittings, etc. You might be able to find a deal on a used CNG system from someone who has upgraded to propane. The only drawback is availability of CNG. For occasional use, the Origo route is probably the most cost-effective way to go.

M

Melody Miller

Well, Consider This

Hi Mark: Sounds like you have a more sophisticated set up than I do. I just have an Origo stove. But one of my friends who is also a camper, has been using an inexpensive ($60) two burner Coleman propane camper stove in his Catalina 27 for the past few years. The stove fits in the space previously occupied by the alcohol stove and can be lifted out. He simply attaches the cylinder off to the side of the stove. These stoves can be purchased at any Wal Mart or K Mart. Below the stove sits a small microwave. So Bob actually has two cooking appliances for perhaps the price of a more substantial propane set up. I plan to do the same thing but I may need minor carpentry work performed to enlarge the area where my alcohol stove currently sits.. Melody Miller

B

Bob Camarena

Be Careful

I went the camp stove route for a couple of trips but decided that all the expensive safety gear that goes along with a proper marine propane installation wasn't just for show. If you want to go the camp stove route, at least invest in a sensor/alarm unit. A leaky connection could spell disaster.

T

Todd Osborne

I have trouble with mine

I currently have the pressurized alcohol stove & can tell you that learning to preheat the burner sufficiently is dufficult, and dangerous! I have gotten the routine down, but have made the mistake twice of letting others attempt to light the stove with nearly disasterous results (as I am still finding fire extinguisher dust in nooks & crannys of my galley). I even gave explicit directions. Now I carry a flame retardent towel and have fire extinguishers handy for just this problem. I wouldn't spend much money to keep this system. If you douse this system: 1)Check to make shure the tank pressure is always between 10 & 15 PSI. 2)Turn on the burner for only 3 seconds. 3)wait for 20 seconds for the alcohol to drip out of the burners down to a deprsssion underneath the metal fuel line where it enters the burner. 4)use an extended lighter to start the alcohol in the depression. 5)Let the candle size flame heat the fuel line for 1-2 minutes. 6)carefully turn on the burner & listen for gas to escape 7) Light burner 8) if it gurgles, or sounds like fluid instead of gas is coming out, immediately shut burner off & wait for another 30 seconds for the primer flame to heat the fuel line. 9) if you leave the burner on and fluid instead of gas comes out, liquid alcohol will run throughout the stovetop and even down the sides of the oven & then ignite, heating up the spilled fuel, burn higher & higher until you have either turned off the valve & extinguished the flames, or burned your boat down. Sounds fun huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.