Sears 10' Sailing Dinghy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Just picked one up without rig or sail. Was wondering if anyone here had seen one and remembered what kind of rig it had originally.
I'm leaning towards a sprit rig for it. I've got some light, yellow rip stop nylon and thinking of making the sail like the polytarp guys do it.

edit: forgot the picture.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Just picked one up without rig or sail. Was wondering if anyone here had seen one and remembered what kind of rig it had originally.
I'm leaning towards a sprit rig for it. I've got some light, yellow rip stop nylon and thinking of making the sail like the polytarp guys do it.

edit: forgot the picture.
A old optimist rig would be a good pick......Sunfish rig would be to much my take.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Lot's of Options

I think an Opti rig would be too small, an Opti is less than 8' long and less than 4' wide.

A Sunfish rig might work but I think you might need a longer mast to be able to tack. Hard to tewll from the picture but it might work.

IYAAYAS
Rick

Jun 25, 2012
Rick Webb said:
I think an Opti rig would be too small, an Opti is less than 8' long and less than 4' wide.

A Sunfish rig might work but I think you might need a longer mast to be able to tack. Hard to tewll from the picture but it might work.

IYAAYAS
Rick
It's only 10 feet and very light plus with no hard chine. Which makes it very tender even when just used as a rowing dink. Plus the opti rig will be easier to stowaway.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
It will sink like a stone if you flip.
I'd say even a Sunfish rig would over power it. I sail a Phantom (slightly larger than a Sunfish). It doesn't take much breeze for these little boats to become over powered. I have to sit out on my Phantom to keep it balanced.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Not having a way to weigh it, I'd guess that it's close to a hundred pounds.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep an eye out for a rig that needs a boat.
I know it will be tender, we built 4 optis for the club with sprit rigs and I had to sit in the bilges with those to keep them upright.
This boat has sealed seats in the bow and stern for flotation.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I looked up the sunfish rig last night and saw somewhere that the sail was 75 sq. ft.?
I think that is quite a bit more than my little dink could carry.
I'm thinking something more like 35-40 sq. ft. on a sprit rig. Something like my simple drawing below. I know the CE is too far forward so will need to shift it towards the stern.
Sorry if I caused confusion with the title, what I mean't was this is a transport type dinghy that can be sailed.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
I looked up the sunfish rig last night and saw somewhere that the sail was 75 sq. ft.?
I think that is quite a bit more than my little dink could carry.
I'm thinking something more like 35-40 sq. ft. on a sprit rig. Something like my simple drawing below. I know the CE is too far forward so will need to shift it towards the stern.
Sorry if I caused confusion with the title, what I mean't was this is a transport type dinghy that can be sailed.
Nice little drawing ....did you do this?
That's why I suggested a simple optimist Rig. Easier to replace and find off the shelf parts. A very small jib on a optional simple off the shelf roller fuller from another small boat design can be adapted if you want to get a little fancier but not all that necessary. K.I.S.S.:D

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Yeah Robert, I used MS Paint. Took a pic of the boat and used the outline of the hull to start. Below is a drawing I made of my boat as a gaff rigged yawl, just for fun. Started with the line drawing on sailboatdata.
On the Optis we built for the club, the spars were made of wooden dowell and they worked well with no more pressure than the little sails were loaded with. I'm not looking to make the boat fast, just be able to sail it and maybe get the kids interested.
I'm all for KISS!!! Thinking of doing this for the sail: http://www.polysail.com/spritsail.htm

Attachments

Jun 25, 2012
Yeah Robert, I used MS Paint. Took a pic of the boat and used the outline of the hull to start. Below is a drawing I made of my boat as a gaff rigged yawl, just for fun. Started with the line drawing on sailboatdata.
On the Optis we built for the club, the spars were made of wooden dowell and they worked well with no more pressure than the little sails were loaded with. I'm not looking to make the boat fast, just be able to sail it and maybe get the kids interested.
I'm all for KISS!!! Thinking of doing this for the sail: http://www.polysail.com/spritsail.htm
Took a quick look at the web site you posted...Do you sew? Have you also checked with Sailrite? They have some neat pre cut sail making kits.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I sew some and have gromets, basting tape and some webbing stashed in the garage. I'm not wanting to spend much on this boat and would rather start with a poly tarp sail and find out it's not going to get used rather than spend the bucks on a sailrite kit. Plus we don't have a heavy duty machine for multi layers of sail cloth.

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
I still think you should use old flower print bed sheets, perhaps an old pair of jeans, maybe some red handkerchiefs etc...

Make it look fun!

LOL

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
What are you going to do for a dagger board?
For testing purposes you can use poly tarp and duct tape and some gromits where the ropes attach

Aug 27, 2011
Catalina 27 Titusville, FL
Aren't we all though merlinuxo? LOL

I have a nice piece of pine that was 2 boards glues back to back and have begun the carving process to make a rudder for the old 22. If you want it to make a dagger board, it's yours.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I think I'll use a piece of 3/4 fir plywood Bill.
Duct tape sounds good and once I have a final sail shape I can sew it.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Mmhmm. I can see me building it out of broomsticks out of the garage for "testing purposes". Then I'd get fancy..

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Aren't we all though merlinuxo? LOL

I have a nice piece of pine that was 2 boards glues back to back and have begun the carving process to make a rudder for the old 22. If you want it to make a dagger board, it's yours.
Thanks Neal, if you don't think you'll have a use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.