Searching for a unicorn prop nut!

Sep 16, 2021
Ohlson Ohlson 38 Eastbourne
Hi all,

I am searching for an 11/16 UNF bronze nut for my propshaft and am having a nightmare, can anyone help?

TIA
Holly

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Very disturbing.... I did a google on unicorn nuts and found this...

1631804016904.png

:yikes:

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Any chance it’s a metric nut? Looks like a m18 would be a close match. What brand/year boat/motor is it for?

If it’s for the Ohlson 38 I would think it likely it is metric rather than imperial dimensioned.

Alternatively you could likely have a machinist cut you a nut.

Sep 16, 2021
Ohlson Ohlson 38 Eastbourne
Any chance it’s a metric nut? Looks like a m18 would be a close match. What brand/year boat/motor is it for?

If it’s for the Ohlson 38 I would think it likely it is metric rather than imperial dimensioned.

Alternatively you could likely have a machinist cut you a nut.
Its definitely not a metric, i've tried them all :( I'm happy to get one cut but am struggling to find a company that can do it...any reccomendations?

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
Its definitely not a metric, i've tried them all :( I'm happy to get one cut but am struggling to find a company that can do it...any reccomendations?
Where? would be very helpful for those trying to help you. Probably easier to redrill and retap a nut,. But if you look locally for a machinist you can usually find a shop that does jobbing for to do it yourself crowd, I had a machinist local to me connect a hand wheel to a 1 and 1/4 in acme thread for my wooden workbench device it wasn't too expensive,

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Where are you located? I would look for a local machinists shop - do you have an existing nut or is the boat out of the water? They would have the tools needed to confirm nut size and threading.

if your still in Eastbourne maybe this company could help you out or send you to someone who could?

Picross Precision Engineering
16-18 Lister Rd, Eastbourne BN23 6PU, UK