Searching for a new to me interim boat <30ft.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I am mulling over an Ontario 32 for my first boat right now but my dream boat is a CS 30.
I've always had a soft spot for Canadian Sailcraft boats. When I was looking for my first boat as an adult, I was focused on a Catalina 22 but saw an already-sold CS22 in the boatyard. I was amazed by the build-quality and fit-out vs the the C22. It almost made be stop looking for a Catalina.

Later on I sailed with a buddy on a CS 36 Merlin. Another great build. Thing was raced but despite the great name was not really all that fast... IIRC the PHRF was 141, while the shorter but newer First 36.7 was 72.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
..and MaineSail has a CS. See YW had 3, now 2 and both sale pending.

....and PERHAPS? one laser 28 for sale off the main sailboat listing sites.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
just something to consider. "all boats are for sale" all!
see something you like, tender an offer.
a good friend just sold his tartan37 to a nice gal that inquired to buy. the boat was not "for sale" but my friend sold it to her. just saying.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
what does the collective group discount for saltwater versus fresh water only boats?
Interesting ad just came up, but outside of the Great Lakes. Standing Rigging is well understood, as is general wear to gelcoat and for some reason mirrors. but what about the engine? Any other concerns that freshwater boats avoid?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
what does the collective group discount for saltwater versus fresh water only boats?
Interesting ad just came up, but outside of the Great Lakes. Standing Rigging is well understood, as is general wear to gelcoat and for some reason mirrors. but what about the engine? Any other concerns that freshwater boats avoid?
Mirrors suffer when the edge is not well sealed, and salt air penetrates and 'rusts' the metallic back-silver material, nearly always along the edges. Never silver anymore, almost any metal can be (and is) used. Mirrors made with aluminum back-silver are pretty immune to the issue.

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Salt vs. fresh water really comes down to age and maintenance for most items, but not all. Salt water is certainly more corrosive than fresh. A friend took his aluminum boat from fresh water to salt water a couple years ago. The biggest thing he found was it is now impossible to maintain the hull paint the way he was accustomed. The salt water wreaks havoc on painted aluminum. We get spoiled sailing in fresh water. When my father took his fresh water boat to the Caribbean he realized having a raw water cooled engine was not a good idea and had to replace the engine after a couple of years. Standing rigging can last many decades in fresh water, likely 3 to 4 times longer than in salt.

My boat spent about 10 of its 40 years in salt water and there are a few things that show from it such as the painted mast. If a boat has been well maintained then salt water shouldn't stop you from considering it but if it has been left to languish then walk away. That can be hard to determine from a distance but you could ask for detailed pictures of the rigging, plumbing, thru-hull fittings, electrical panel, batteries and engine before making the trip to see the boat. These are some of the places corrosion shows up.