SeaPearl vs Bay Hen

JJMc

Feb 16, 2016
Clark Wayfarer Lake Onalaska
Both about 21', the SeaPearl has no cabin, an open boat but tent cabin available. The Bay Hen has a cabin with V-berth forward. Both unstayed masts, very shallow draft, and light enough to tow with my small car. I'm a very experienced sailor, my wife not so much and she likes to be comfortable and dry.

My question: what is your experience with either of these boats, and your opinion of their relative seaworthiness for the Great Lakes and the Gulf coast.
Thanks!

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
No direct experience with the boats in question, however an open boat is very unforgiving to people who wish to stay dry. On any given day anything can happen on the water, in a open boat that event is going to be a wet one.
Eric

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Bay Hen 21 was reviewed in the current issue of Good Old Boat magazine, Issue 106 January/February 2016

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
Neither boat is a heavy water sailboat. They are both shallow water sailing boats.
I wouldn't use either for the Great Lakes but Florida coastal and island hopping is
where they shine. The double mast and sail combo would make the Sea Pearl
more manageable in my book.
Brian

JJMc

Feb 16, 2016
Thanks Brian for pointing to Good Old Boats, and thanks Brian for your experienced opinion. Where do you sail the Peep in Minnesota?

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
I am in the Mankato area, so I sail all over here. I also sail on Pepin a couple times a year.
I see you are at Onalaska? Either boat would be fun there if the current is slow.
Brian

JJMc

Feb 16, 2016
Yes, "Lake Onalaska" has very little current. It is off the channel, shallow, and plenty of weeds in late summer. The largest boats sailing there are O'Day and Precision 25's, but a shallow draft boat is more useful.