Sealant for chain plate area H41?

Dec 15, 2017
Hunter Legend 41AC Portsmouth
Hello all, what sealant is used for the external chain plate area on a H41? As want to renew ours.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
When you start to remove if it won't come apart then it's 3M 5200 (which is what I bet it is). If it comes apart it's 3M 4200. If it is 5200, I would recommend getting a specific spray solvent (DeBond) to remove. I used it to remove a cabin top winch, which would have been impossible without.

• Helpful
May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not sure what Hunter used and don't really care.
Go to 'compassmarine.com' and read about butyl tape for bedding
chain plates and deck fittings.
IMO it is far better than any sealant out of a tube.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
rgranger, yes that it! I have attached a picture of the gelcoat that was under the winch after I cleaned it. I honestly don't know how I ever would have removed the winch without damaging the gelcoat without using the DeBond.
IMG_20190605_151859224.jpg

• Helpful
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not sure what Hunter used and don't really care.
Go to 'compassmarine.com' and read about butyl tape for bedding
chain plates and deck fittings.
IMO it is far better than any sealant out of a tube.
@Maine Sail sells butyl tape. I purchased two rolls a fews years back. I still have about half a role left. Great stuff.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Butyl Tape. Bought from MaineSail. Best stuff around.
Rebedded deck chainplates with 3M 4200 and three of them were leaking within two years. Rebedded them with butyl. Wish I had known about it the first time around. It seams to last forever.
Trimmed up some sloppy, crusty looking sealant at the foresail chainplate on the bow last spring. I think it was original. And it was still soft and sticky under the crust of dirt and topside wax.