seal pedestal grab bar

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I found a leak at the steering pedestal boats when we were remaking the cushions. (the big mold spot was sort of a dead give-away) Now my wife is telling me that if I want to put HER new cushion in the boat I had better fix that leak real quick.
Any suggestions and/or pit-falls?

There is a socket at the base of the tube that holds the base of the grab bar. The instrument wires run down the port side bar and through a hole in the cockpit sole which allows the water into the Q-berth. What is the best way to seal this up. right now I have packed some butyl around and under it which slowed it down but is not a permanent solution.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hayden I removed the bases of my grab bar. I drilled a hole through the base bottto let the cable pass through. When I reinstalled I filled the space around the cable with 4200. Then set the base in 4200 and screwed the base down. I then drilled a weep hole into the base and the bar pipe to let any condensation in the tube get out into the deck. Finally I used amalgamating tape on the cable that exits the tube for my auto pilot.

Self-amalgamating tape is a non-tacky silicone-rubber tape which when stretched and wrapped around cables, electrical joints, hoses and pipes combines or unites itself into a strong, seamless, rubbery, waterproof, and electrically insulating layer.[1][2] Unlike many other polymers and fibers, it is heat-, sunlight-, and weather-resistant. This type of tape is also described, particularly in the United States, as "self-fusing",[3][4] or "self-vulcanizing".​
No leaks the past 3 years.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Hayden I removed the bases of my grab bar. I drilled a hole through the base bottto let the cable pass through. When I reinstalled I filled the space around the cable with 4200. Then set the base in 4200 and screwed the base down. I then drilled a weep hole into the base and the bar pipe to let any condensation in the tube get out into the deck. Finally I used amalgamating tape on the cable that exits the tube for my auto pilot.
Self-amalgamating tape is a non-tacky silicone-rubber tape which when stretched and wrapped around cables, electrical joints, hoses and pipes combines or unites itself into a strong, seamless, rubbery, waterproof, and electrically insulating layer.[1][2] Unlike many other polymers and fibers, it is heat-, sunlight-, and weather-resistant. This type of tape is also described, particularly in the United States, as "self-fusing",[3][4] or "self-vulcanizing".​
No leaks the past 3 years.
That sounds like it might work. I was able to get the leak to stop by tightly wrapping a strip of Bed-it around the tube/socket joint but it was exposed on top and nonconfined so I knew that it would not continue to seal. After a week or so, the Sunbrella helm cover touched the butyl and pulled it a bit which started a slow leak. The PO used Devils Glue so there is still a bit of that residue even after using every chemical known to man.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Hayden,
I did the same on my C30 but I used Maine Sail's write up. I undercut the wood core and filled with epoxy then re-drilled it counter sunk and used butyl rubber. It never leaked but I did it before snaking the wires up to the Navpod. I think to do it right you may need to remove the wires. I also used butyl rubber around the top of the plastic flange where the grab rail enters and taped around that. If it's entering from the deck you could end up with a wet core which is more concerning than cushions. You might want to try butyl and tape on the outside where it enters the fitting and hose it down to see if it still leaks. It could be coming in from there.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Binnacle guard has 3 posts. I bolted the bases down thru the deck. I used Bed-It wrapped on the bolts in the first iteration 2015. Worked well. Then I wanted the AP and so on one of the post bases I drilled a thru hole for the cable. That one got the 4200 treatment, after I learned about using it doing on my deck stepped mast base.

I refrain from doing the devils work and using his glue. If I can.....:yikes: