Seafarer 38c - Fresh water leak and steam from engine

Jul 28, 2024
Seafarer 38C New London
Hello Seafarers. I have a 1979 Seafarer 38c and love it. The marina did not winterize properly and now my fresh water system is leaking most of the holding tank into the bilge. The leak is between the engine area and bathroom. How hard is it to replace hoses? Yesterday I ran the engine for 3 hours and found steam in engine compartment and the bathroom. I shutdown the engine and seemed very hot. Ideas? Are both issues caused by the water leak?

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
The plumbing leak should be simple to trace and repair. The engine is a different animal. No temp gauge on the engine? Any leaks from engine?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Ed,

The fresh water leak may be found by putting some food coloring in the water tank and then inspecting around the tank, the visible hoses, etc. for the leak. Depending on the water hose type and the locatio Of a crack, it can be repaired or replaced. We should refer to the water tank as just that…water tank. A ” holding tank” usually refers to a black-water tank that holds waste from the head :poop:. You don’t want to confuse those tanks!

The engine issues are probably not related as the potable water system should not interface with the engine. But your symptoms are concerning…steam in the engine bay isn’t good. Best to figure this problem out pronto.

Greg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Steam in engine compartment.

Confirm it is steam,
  • raw water heated by engine exhaust
  • Fresh Water from hot water tank venting
Like steam but oily residue on engine
  • Coolant leak from pump
  • Fuel leak
  • Exhaust leak
Prioritize identification of this issue and resolve before going out again.