Seafarer 22

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've sailed quite a bit on a Seafarer 22. They were built on L.I. so there are more in that area. They are aging out. Pro's: It's a tough little boat. With a PHRF rating of, I think, 278 it isn't a speedster but it can hold it own in a PHRF fleet if sailed well. The owner I sailed with had a pile of trophies. The adage was if you could see him he was beating you. And it's simple. Halyards at the mast, small winches and not a lot to spend $$$ on.
Con's: Small bridge deck. Traveler on the bridge deck making cabin access difficult. At least on the boat I sailed on the companionway hood didn't slide. You had to life it to go below - not that there was much to go below for. The owner of the boat I sailed on cut off the s keg when the boat was new and replaced the rudder with a transom hung rudder.
For cruising you'd have to be into roughing it. Blue water sailing, you'd have to be a masochist. But the boat with some modifications could probably take it. You'd need water tight bulkheads for each third of the boat. Build up that bridge deck and of course beef up the rigging. It's really not a Bluewater boat. But it can take an inshore beating and come up smiling.
There's a guy on this forum who used to work on building them. Hope he chimes in.