SeaDek installation on an O'day 39

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
This turned out very well. The SeaDek product is used on stand-up paddle boards and swim platforms. It's soft and very grippy. Everyone who has sat or walked on it loves it.
I'm not sure how traditionalist would react to it but I don't really care.
Installation is very easy as it uses Acrylic Pressure sensitive adhesive. (Peal and Stick)
I had just finished bedding down the hinges for the aft locker. That's the green masking tape you see.
The cost was about $800.

More into here. http://www.seadek.com/t-about.aspx

I'm not affiliated with these guys in any way but this may make someone a nice installation business for anyone looking for a small business in the boating industry. Making the templates is rather easy but may be a bit intimidating for many boat owners.

Attachments

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Looks great: Keep us posted on durability. Is it a spongy material? Is it prone to tearing? ..and does this forego the need for cushions then?

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Looks great: Keep us posted on durability. Is it a spongy material? Is it prone to tearing? ..and does this forego the need for cushions then?
I Know I sound like a salesman but I'm not. It's just that I think products like this keep these older boat looking young.

Yes, the material is spongy. I think it is the material they would layer together to make the cushioning for jogging shoes. Very similar if not exactly the same as Yoga mats. SeaDek has a way of putting a brushed effect to it. (see photos for a closer look)

I can't see it tearing. A think the warranty is five years. My Bimini keeps it covered fairly well. I will keep everyone fully posted as to it's durability.

As for use in place of cushions, I was hoping it would and it has surpassed my expectations. Everyone says it makes the cockpit feel more secure. Much safer than loose cushions

Here are some pictures. Click on them to enlarge

Attachments

Dec 14, 2009
Oday 37CC Norfolk, VA
Looks Great!!! You just ordered their $15 dollar template kit with additional mylar for the templates?
Seriously looking at this for our 37CC cockpit. What font did you use for the boat name?

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Looks Great!!! You just ordered their $15 dollar template kit with additional mylar for the templates?
Seriously looking at this for our 37CC cockpit. What font did you use for the boat name?
The font is Atlantic incline, same as what I used on the hull. Look here: http://panta-rhei.weebly.com/
Don't tell anyone but It's the slanted version of the font used for the cover of Cruising world. People say it looks nautical but can't seem to place why.

The boat name was actually the only thing that did not work out on the project. Parts of the litters are too thin. I felt I had no choice but to use that font and have them do their best with it since I thought it should come close to the hull font.

I would recommend a different font, something thicker. more free form, and no sharp points or corners. Look on the SeaDeck website for ideas.

Yes, I ordered the $15 template. They sent a roll of mylar and a Sharpie. I traced the outline and returned it to them. I had them digitally produce the tracing so I could double check. I caught both errors I had made and others that they had made. I made the corrections and the product fit perfectly. I have the two aft corner pcs that were very difficult to trace since the Mylar they give you does not stretch at all. It you happen to have a simpler shape I would skip that step.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
That looks great. I ordered some samples and will be ordering the template kit this weekend. I hope to use this on the cockpit benches instead of cushions.

Again, very nice.

Aug 22, 2007
Hunter 280 White Rock, BC
This really does look great, I have the same boat and this would make a big difference it the cockpit. Now after a few years use, how does it look? I wonder if the soft material will stand up in the long term. Also does it stay fixed in place or has it started to lift? Thanks very much for sharing this, I can't wait to try this upgrade!!

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
This really does look great, I have the same boat and this would make a big difference it the cockpit. Now after a few years use, how does it look? I wonder if the soft material will stand up in the long term. Also does it stay fixed in place or has it started to lift? Thanks very much for sharing this, I can't wait to try this upgrade!!
Danmonk,
I think you are in a perfect place to determine how the product stands up over time. Head out to Lake Washington this weekend and look at the wake board boats. The product first started out on the swim platforms of the these boats.
As for the O'day 39 application, the cockpit seats have a bit of a rounded lip under the knee area. SeasDek says to avoid these types of areas. I tested this area with the samples they sent me. I found no problems with lifting. I taped down the edge in this area for the first week after application then removed the tape after the PSA had time to set. I have seen no problems with lifting.

Aug 22, 2007
Hunter 280 White Rock, BC
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the wake boats. I noticed that in your recent pictures the seadeck seems to have been removed? BTW great referb!! I've done a few things myself, but you have given me some great ideas. I am currently planing on replacing the windlass with a electric one and also changing the headliner. Thanks for posting on you website. It's great to see what other owners are up to.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll check out the wake boats. I noticed that in your recent pictures the seadeck seems to have been removed? BTW great referb!! I've done a few things myself, but you have given me some great ideas. I am currently planing on replacing the windlass with a electric one and also changing the headliner. Thanks for posting on you website. It's great to see what other owners are up to.
Did not remove the SeaDek. Guest love it. I'm sold. The photos may have been out of order.

Tested the windlass this weekend. It could not grip the splice between the rope and chain. Purchased the anchor liner/chain with factory splice from the winch manufacturer. A bit disappointed but will investigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.