Sea rail scepter mounting - First 345

Mar 19, 2022
Beneteau First 345 Korsør
Hi,
I have to replace the 2 sea rail scepter mounting bolts on my Beneteau First 345 year 1985.
The bolts snapped at deck level.
My question is how these bolts are mounted in (through?) the deck. I assume the mounting is original.

Should they be drilled out, or should they be punshed out ?

Best regards

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Not sure what you mean by scepter bolts, but the bolts that hold the aluminum toerail down on our '91 Bene appear to be blind carriage bolts with nuts/washers below decks. If they are truly snapped you should be able to access the underside, remove the lower part and punch the rest of it up and out...

Mar 19, 2022
Beneteau First 345 Korsør
Thank you for yor kind reply.
I’ve learned that the english term for scepter is stanchion. Sorry for not doing my homework before posting

The toe rail is just fine

The stanchion mount is mounted in the toe rail vertical with 2 6mm stainless steel bolts (those are snapped) and a 3. 8mm stainless steel bolt horizontal through the toe rail.

I’m currently in the process of carefully drilling out the 2 bolts not harming the thread in the toe rail, as I learned the bolts are not going through the deck. At least investigating another stanchion mount above the cockpit storage compartment where I have free access to the haul do not reveal any bolts coming through the deck.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Different setup than our 91 35s5.
if the toe rail is tapped and you need to drill it out, it’s going to be tricky to retap it without penetrating the deck. I’d try an “easy-out” first once you’ve drilled the snapped bolts undersized. However there a good chance that won’t work.
ultimately you may need to get access,drill through and bolt through the deck. Good luck!