Sea Hood removal/replacement on Hunter Vision 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Sea Hood removal/replacement on Hunter Vision 36.

Here are some photos of what is under the sea hood of a Hunter Vision 36. There are two large bolts that run thru the traveler and into the top of the cabin that help secure the sea hood. Then there are about six small screws that hold it in place.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Re: x

Looks good Steve. I take it is not glued down so you can re-reeve those sheaves relatively easily or add to the vacant position if needed. Also handy to service them if they get gummy. Those angles are pretty large. Any problem with friction? In picture 3 it looks like you are parked next to your old boat!

Allan

Dec 2, 1999
Sea Hood removal/replacement on Hunter Vision 36.

Allan (aka Hawkeye):

Yes the old Heather Marie is parted next door.

There was no caulking which made the removal quite easy. I was expecting that the bolts that when through the traveler would be a bugger to remove, but they came out like a hot knife through butter. The only issue was lifting the hood high enough so it would slip out.

The photos are AFTER a major cleaning. There was a lot of mud and debris under the hood.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Just like the old "Name that Tune"....I can name that boat with 3 opening and one fixed port. :dance::dance: And we finally used your eraser technique and removed all our stripes this summer. We replaced the two fixed windows on one side with a single long one...stay tuned for the posting.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hey, Steve...

That sure looks a lot like my 40.5 set up. Traveler looks the same. I have two machine screws on the traveler that are bigger than the others and a couple of positions in from the end of the traveler. Is that similar to yours?

Dec 2, 1999

Rick:

If you look at the first photo there is a blob of caulk. That is where these long 7" screws went through the traveler. You will also notice that there are two holes on the aft edge of the sea hood. That is where the bolts when through the hood.

If you have any screws/bolts that are NOT the end screws for the traveler and are inside the dimensions of the sea hood, they can probably be removed to see if the hood can be removed.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA

Wow, that sure does look like my set up. I'm going to give it a shot. Just purchased a HF 1/2 inch impact 'just in case' (sorry about the Harbor Freight, MS).

May 9, 2011
Hunter 1994 40.5 Ponce Inlet FL
Info on deck

I will post some pics shortly.
I decided to "cut the deck" just under the forward edge of the traveller.
This turned out to be just the spot as there is only 1/2 inch of balsa core there which came out easily scraping with a screw driver.
There is a 1/4 aluminum stock embedde in the cover under the traveller. My intent is to elongate the two innermost traveller bolts so they go through the cover 1/2 inch and bolt a stainless plate to that. Only need 1/4 inch lip for the forward deck to rest on so it is supported in the middle.

Talked with Garhauer, they are sending bearing sheaves that they say should fit original deck organizers...
If that is true, I will use them on the main and jib halyards!
:)

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Nice to know that comes apart easily. I'll probably pull mine up for a good cleaning this winter. Does your solar panel work? I'm thinking of replacing mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.