Sea Hawk stripper

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Has anyone used new Sea Hawk marine paint stripper,I have been using Sea Hawk ablative bottom paint but with my new very good diver cleaning has been removing faster
than before and so thinking switching to a hard bottom paint.
My diver spends at least 45 minutes scrubbing my boat bottom very clean and when done looks like new and some white is showing in a few spots of my light blue bottom paint.
Nick

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
My diver spends at least 45 minutes scrubbing my boat bottom very clean
You're not supposed to touch/scrub ablative. It sloughs itself, unlike hard bottom paint, with each time you sail the boat. What your diver seems to have done is removed all the bottom paint. Two/three coats of ablative on our boat lasts seven years, and even then most is still there. It just loses its ability over time to repel marine growth.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
You're not supposed to touch/scrub ablative.
...said the guy who doesn't need to have his bottom cleaned, ever. :rolleyes:

If you did your boating in a place where fouling is an actual, honest-to-God concern, like Florida or California, you'd understand what a ridiculous statement that is. Ablatives foul just as fast and heavily as any other anti fouling paint. And guess what? In the fouling conditions found where I work, sailing the boat doesn't do much in the way of removing growth. And if the fouling growth isn't coming off, the paint underneath it isn't ablating either. Ablative paints need to be cleaned every bit as frequently as any other paint. That is simply the nature of the beast in warmer, sunnier climes.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
...said the guy who doesn't need to have his bottom cleaned, ever. :rolleyes:
:plus:
It's pretty tough to sail when your boat won't move due to marine growth. My dock mate in Florida loaded his family and gear into his sailboat one day and cast off. The engine revved and the boat didn't move. His bottom was fouled, with the propeller a ball of stuff that grows in the ocean. This is an extreme example, but it is what can happen if you don't clean your bottom in those waters.

Last edited: