Scuppers....

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
Catalina, Hobbie 22, 16 Windycrest
I have two scuppers right next to each other. Perhaps after market. They seem to be letting water in rather than venting the bottom of my boat. Your thoughts? What the heck is going on with this tubbing? Keep gear dry and put water at the bottom, kinda of pass through scheme? Catalina 22

Attachments

Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII Pasadena, MD
I think you are mixing up your cowl vents with your scupper drains. Scupper's are in the cockpit to drain water, while the cowl vents are for venting your engine.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
I think you are mixing up your cowl vents with your scupper drains. Scupper's are in the cockpit to drain water, while the cowl vents are for venting your engine.
Ah, cowl vents. I have an outboard motor. Why are those pesky tubes leading the center/lower bowls of my boat. Seems aftermarket.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Ah, cowl vents. I have an outboard motor. Why are those pesky tubes leading the center/lower bowls of my boat. Seems aftermarket.
[/QUOTE
The Vents are to allow air exchange in the lower bilge area. They will not do anything for the propane tank however. Propane tanks are required to be in a vented and drained locker, with a solenoid cut off valve

From the Catalina 22 Manual;
OUTBOARD ENGINES
The Catalina 22 requires an outboard engine in the 3 to 6 horsepower range should you desire to purchase one. The factory provides an optional outboard bracket or you may purchase a commercial one. "Long shaft engines" are preferable but regular shaft will work satisfactory.
Coast Guard regulations require venting of the hull if you install an outboard engine on your boat. Be sure to meet these regulations for safety reasons. Gasoline fumes are heavy and will accumulate in the low places of the boat's hull if venting is not properly installed.

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
I need to replace these vent tubes. There is a long tube resting on the floor of the compartment and a short tube about one foot long, Can someone tell me if the long tube goes on the forward or aft vent?

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
I need to replace these vent tubes. There is a long tube resting on the floor of the compartment and a short tube about one foot long, Can someone tell me if the long tube goes on the forward or aft vent?
Long tube is forward on my 1974 22' Catalina

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
I was wrong, long tube is aft.

gtg

Sep 12, 2019
So I remove the vent tubes since I dont have have a gasonline motor?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
So I remove the vent tubes since I dont have have a gasonline motor?
On a diesel engined boat, those aren't for venting bilge fumes, they are for suppling more air for the diesel to eat..

May 10, 2022
Catalina 22 Puget Sound
Gentlemen,
These cowls and tubes are a vital part of your boats ventilation.
They are not aftermarket, the manufacturer installed them.
The proper operation of these is:
The forward vent faces forward to scoop air. This air slightly pressurizes the inside of the boat.
It deposits fresh air and should have a short hose or no hose. Either will work.
The aft vent faces aft and draws a vacuum. This vent should have a hose that draws air from the bilge.
The amount of air they move is dependent on how much wind is moving across them. On a still day, they may not move any air? But as the wind picks up, they can move quite alot. They aren't just for fuel fumes, they can move bilge odors, fuel fumes, propane, anything stagnant in the bilge. They also help to minimize and evaporate condensation.
Keep them, they aren't hurting anything. And without them your boat maybe stinky?;)