Screwed up nicopress fittings

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So I built new forward shrouds. looked up the specs and misread the number of crimps 1/8 sleeves. Currently each sleeve have two presses, calls for three. (lord knows how I mixed that up). Searched the net for an answer to these questions with no luck.
1.) is two presses across two sleeves sufficient? (doubtful)
2.) can sleeves be repressed once pressed (add a crimp)
3.) if not, once sleeves are removed can the same spot on the wire be recrimped with new sleeve.

throwing myself at the mercy of the court, but if I am asking these questions someone else must have/ will do the same thing as I did.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
2.) can sleeves be repressed once pressed (add a crimp)
No.

3.) if not, once sleeves are removed can the same spot on the wire be recrimped with new sleeve.
Probably not, it would be difficult to remove the sleeves without damaging the wire.

Fortunately, you have a C22 with a short mast and light rigging. It won't be that expensive to replace.

The best lessons are never cheap. ;)

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Like Ron says - how do the shrouds attach to the chainplates? Looping wire through a shackle or padeye is not at all Kosher for standing rigging. Nicopress is OK for control wires, perhaps, like the lanyards to release the spinnaker pole jaws, but standing rigging should be swaged. You do not want to worry about the mast coming down, and nico press sleeves can slip.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
No.

Probably not, it would be difficult to remove the sleeves without damaging the wire.

Fortunately, you have a C22 with a short mast and light rigging. It won't be that expensive to replace.

The best lessons are never cheap. ;)
Thanks that is kinda what I figured. Luckily 1/8 1x19 wire is cheap.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
So I built new forward shrouds.
If it is just the two forward shrouds, don't sweat it.
Start over again and do it properly.

Also
You're using the wrong wire and fittings for a shroud or stay.:yikes:
Ron, Can you elaborate on that, please?

gary

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
So I built new forward shrouds.
If it is just the two forward shrouds, don't sweat it.
Start over again and do it properly.

Also
You're using the wrong wire and fittings for a shroud or stay.:yikes:
Ron, Can you elaborate on that, please?

gary
If you are using Nicropress fittings, that sounds like you are using galvanized wire, as I don't think SS can be bent that tight?. If you look at the SBO there are a number of stays/shrouds that may fit your Cat22 needs.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
If you are using Nicropress fittings, that sounds like you are using galvanized wire, as I don't think SS can be bent that tight?. If you look at the SBO there are a number of stays/shrouds that may fit your Cat22 needs.
Using 1/8 stainless 1x19 wire which is standard for a 22 trailer sailor. Zinc covered copper Nicopress sleeves is very common in small boat rigging. I am building custom shrouds to replace the current ones (also with Nicopress fittings) as I am adding Hayfield levers and the current stays are too long. My mistake was reading the presses for 5/32 wire, and was hoping there was a "fix" other than just remaking the stays again. ah well lesson learned. easy enough to remake as Gary stated.