Scratched hunter 33 rubrail

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
What material is this part of my Hunter 33 side rail, with the scratches. Feels like it is plastic (not Fiberglass) A suggested method to repair? Like sand and fill with something of similar color.
Thank you - Michael

Attachments

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Having no idea what the plastic material is, see if you can get gelcoat to stick to it. Maybe you can treat the rail as FG if it sticks. A strong belief in the supernatural may also help o_O !

First practice on a hidden area.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael looks like a bird tried to land and rest on the rubbrail and it was too slippery. But the bird was a least persistent.

Most of the rub rails are a rigid vinyl plastic material. Yours looks to have the aluminum strip attached. Try Taco Marine. Rub Rail TACO Marine
They make a wide range of rub rails for many boats. They may offer some ideas.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The rail is flexible. I don't think brittle Gel Coat will work. The rail is meant to be sacrificial. But not in sections so far as I remember mine on the H356. I think you could polish the SS rub strip. Maybe just paint the plastic. Or try some compound.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Is there other damage? Can you provide a picture of the entire area?
It is localized damage. During a windy day (I wasn't there) it appears to have rubbed under the lid of the dock box, which scratched just in that area. My dock box is triangular. No other damage - just localized scratching in that immediate area.
Image of bow.jpg

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33 Santa Barbara
Michael looks like a bird tried to land and rest on the rubbrail and it was too slippery. But the bird was a least persistent.

Most of the rub rails are a rigid vinyl plastic material. Yours looks to have the aluminum strip attached. Try Taco Marine. Rub Rail TACO Marine
They make a wide range of rub rails for many boats. They may offer some ideas.
Thank you - I'll contact them,
Michael