scotch drinkers, reccomendations?

May 8, 2010
AmericaSail 14-6 my driveway
I am a rum guy mostly, but I have decided I would look for "my" scotch. I have a buddy who swears by Johnnie Walker black and I got to thinking I should find the one I prefer. Every scotch I have tried, though, seems harsh and tastes sort of like plastic. I am looking for something smooth and sweet.

I am just buying different kinds and trying them all, 12 years blends at this point. So far I have sampled Dewar's special reserve and I just picked up some Chivas Regal. To be honest, I can't tell the difference between them. I know that must offend the aficionados, but they really taste the same to me.

Next on my list to try are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, and of course Johnnie Walker black, and red. I have seen green and blue as well, but they are awfully expensive to be a shot in the dark.

For those that are more learned with scotch, what would you recommended I look for?:confused:

DJW

Oct 6, 2004
Cascade- Cascade 42 Pearl Harbor, HI
I like Lagavulin, it is a single malt very peaty not cheap but very good. JW Black is also very nice as well as the Gold. I do not care for the blue even though it's a 25 year old scotch.

Dennis

Mar 28, 2006
Macgregor 21 Cow Canyon Colorado
I like Laphroaig, on the rocks with a squeeze of lime.
Scotch connoisseurs would not approve, but I like it.
Finding "your" Scotch, involves drinking a Lot of Scotch.

Aug 26, 2006
Hunter H380 Palafox Pier Pensacola
My Scottish Friends

turned me on to Famous Grousse. Not expensive, less than $20 per fifth. The scots I know are too cheap to drink single malts except for occasions. Do you know why pipers walk when they pipe? They too want to get away from the noise.:)

May 8, 2010
I totally forgot a bottle of Glenmorangie 15 year single malt a buddy brought me back from Scotland. After I polish off the Chivas, I'll have to crack it open.

Does anybody else think a drink that claims to be high quality with a $40+ price should have a cork? The Dewars I bought did so I was surprised that the Chivas had a plastic screw-off cap.:lame:

The boxes these things come in are really cool, I've been keeping them. My wife wishes I would pick up some Crown Royal so she can get the nifty bag it comes in, but I had to correct her "sorry dear, that's not "scotch," that's "Canadian whisky"." :naughty:

MikeH

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Perrysburg, OH
Our favorite is Macallan, usually 12 year but sometimes we splurge for 18 year. Aged in sherry casks with a sweet nose and wonderful malt taste.

Jun 4, 2004
Com-pac 23/3 New Durham NH
Let me preface my comments by saying that you will have to find the spirit that suits your taste. With that said, if you want to enjoy good scotch don't bother with blends, especially JW red label. Singel Malts are the way to go (except is someone is buying you a dram of Johnnie Walker Blue Label). The rest are for mixing.

As mentioned above, McCallan is excellent (several different "vintages" - I like the 18 year old), Lagavulin is excellent but an aquired taste as the peatiness needs some getting used to. Laphroig is good as well. Glenfiddich and Glen Livet are single malts that rather bland IMHO. I also like Oban. It is a bit milder than some of the others but a good taste. My favorite is Springbank, but it is very difficultot find in the US.

Google "six Classic Single Malts" and you will have a good place to start. Scotch is like wine in how different geographic areas will produce different tasting scotch.

Oh, yeah. Scotch is best unchilled (no ice) and with a little bit if distilled water. The water helps release the aromatics and you get the full taste of the scotch.

Happy tasting!!

Norm

May 8, 2010
I'm finding a lot of good resources out there. The Speyside region sounds like what I want to try next. I like light and sweet and they appear to exhibit these characteristics. I am going to take the advice of getting away from the blends. The more I study this, the more I think I need to find the pure malts I like. Armed with that, if I was looking at a blend, I would have a better idea if i would like it based upon the malts involved.

I'm starting to understand the complexity of this little project I have set for myself, much more engaging than I ever expected.

Don-MT

May 21, 2004
Oday 23 Montana
My favorite Scotch is..., hum, the one in my hand at the time.

Shine On!

Don

MikeH

Jan 7, 2004
Hunter 260 Perrysburg, OH
You might want to buy Michael Jackson's (not THE Michael Jackson) book, Malt Whiskey Companion published by Dorling Kindersley. It discusses the history, why they differ, the various regions, and then a couple hundred pages of all the different Scotch Whiskeys produced over the years. It doesn't tell you what's good, but it'll tells you the differences - and exploring them for yourself is where the REAL fun is.

The book is available on Amazon.

dmc

Jan 29, 2007
Hunter Cheribini Lk. St. Clair MI
pour out the Scotch.....

try Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey. It's akin to mothers milk, at least, to this Irish Lad.

Peace
dmc

May 8, 2010
This Glenmorangie was a bit harsh at first but after a couple of tries it's smooth. The wife just brought some Balantines home. I'll try that tonight.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I go for the darkest scotch I can find.

Oban, Glenmorangie, Talisker, MaCallan are just some of the top of the list.

Not crazy about JW, but do like Glen Fiddich and Glen Livet

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Oban is one of my favorite scotches. I just had some of the Dewars special after we crossed the finish line the other night. Sort of a tradition to have a nice glass of scotch on the way back to the mooring after the race.

I also like some of the newer small batch bourbons. 1792 and Basil Haden are excellent.

I prefer all my whiskeys room temp or warmer and straight up.

May 8, 2010
I need mine on the rocks so it's chilled but I hate having to rush before the ice melts. Any downside to putting my libation in the fridge?
One reviewer I watched commented something like "those that say scotch should be served at room temperature forget that room temperature in Scotland is pretty cold." ;)

Jul 14, 2005
Hunter 27_75-84 Chicago