Scored a Marine Air Systems AC/Heat unit!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I think this is a good thing.
There's a marine mechanic who spends the winter in our marina working on barges and other boat repairs for the owner. He had a Marine Air Systems 16k BTU air conditioner, with heat, complete with water pump and digital thermostat for sale.
He had pulled it out of a boat he was working on up north, for use in his Hunter 40' but decided he didn't need it since he spends his summers up north in St John, NB.
It looks to be in great condition. No rust in the pan or on any of the components. Has all the parts to install it. Supposedly only has a couple of hours on it.

I paid $250 for it which, if it works well, I think is a great price to get AC on the boat.
My biggest concern is the sticker says it uses R22 refrigerant, which is being phased out.
Hopefully it will work with a replacement refrigerant if needed.

The model is CME16K-H.
Here's a photo of the label and the unit. Anybody have experience, good or bad, with one of these units? I know it's a reach but anyone have a manual?
IMG_3558.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
After our winter experience I’m sure the Heat side is as important as the cold. Great score Ward!!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So our new to us 310 has Marine Air Systems AC/Heat unit installed with a new water pump and other then dusty was in excellent shape. Will be a big improvement for us in July for sure at the dock. I'd like to look at the option to run a small self contained Honda generator on the bow if we decide to anchor out for a night or two in the summer. Ideally I'd want it propane powered to use the installed propane tanks and not bring another fuel source on board.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sounds great if it works as advertised. One thing you might want to keep an eye on is if 16K is too much for your boat; it's the same size as in our 37'. From what I've read bigger isn't necessarily better beyond a certain point, as the unit might not cycle long enough to dehumidify the air very well.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
We never thought we would but our new boat has a/c and heat and we love it. Extended the sailing season significantly. However when the water is cold it’s hard to make heat.... heat works great in fall because water is still warm. In spring it’s hard to extract heat.......

Good luck!
Greg

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is a great deal, Ward.. I have one of their 12000 BTU units that I installed in 1995 or so.. I had to replace my compressor because the case corroded through (my fault) .. Mine has run almost continuously as a dehumidifier since installation..and many weekends with us aboard.. We don't decommission in the winter so I mean continuously.. Great unit.. Any shop will have F22 and if the unit does not leak, none will be required.. My unit did not need F-22 until I had to replace the compressor and it has not needed any since.. On the coast in 'Jersey in the summer, I think you'll be fine with that capacity.
EDIT: Remember that when you switch from gasoline to propane, you can expect about 10-15% less power because of the difference in energy content of the fuels. The Honda losing 10-15% may be an issue if converted to propane..

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
When you say as a dehumidifier @kloudie1 do you mean you set a temperature and let it maintain that temperature when you are away from the boat? This in interesting to me as we suffer the same humidity problems in Alabama.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
From what I've read bigger isn't necessarily better beyond a certain point, as the unit might not cycle long enough to dehumidify the air very well.
I know this is a concern in room air conditioners but my wife likes the thermostat set low for sleeping so we always buy oversized units. We'll see how it works on the boat.

Maybe we can use it to keep our beverages chilled as well.:laugh:

Glad to hear positive comments about the Marine Air units.

@Justin_NSA Thanks for the link. Sounds like having R22 isn't really an issue.

Anyone have a manual for the unit or similar unit they can scan for me?

Thanks

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
had the marineairrr 12k w heat/ ac , digital thermostat and the humidify function. it worked faultless and was still working faultlessly 8 yrs later when we sold the boat. when you install it be sure to leave enough room to get at the march raw water pump so you can winterize it and get access to the h 2 0 inut line so you can bleed the air out after you've been on a heel. and tell yr marina buddies you have ac w 'dehumidify. the 1st vacation we went away and left it on dehumidify we got some phone calls that the boat was sinking 'because your bilge pump keeps running ...?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@MitchM Thanks for the heads up on telling my buddies. We do keep a good eye on each others boats.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Ward,
I think that unit uses a scrol type compressor and if it uses that type compressor then if you purge the sys I believe it can take the newer replacement refrigerant. Check with a company that works on reverses cycle sys for variation before obviously. R22 is still obtainable just expensive because whoever has it knows that they have it and you need it unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that just about every system out there can be converted fairly inexpensively.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Here's a photo of the label and the unit. Anybody have experience, good or bad, with one of these units? I know it's a reach but anyone have a manual?
Hi Ward, we have the same unit on our boat for the main and forward cabins. A 9K BTU unit for the aft cabin, both original 1991 still work great on both sides, but seldom used except for heat during the winter while at the dock. Never gets that warm or humid around here. It always amazes me how it can draw warm air from 45 degree sea water. The 16K BTU unit (120VAC) and the Little Giant (120 VAC) sea water pump both consume about 12 amps while running. Pretty efficient. Most any marine refrigeration technician has R-22 on hand, but a bit pricey. Then again the unit does not take that much.

I have the User Manual, but no Service Manual, if that is what you mean. If the User Manual will do I can send you a copy. Let me know.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
@John Tubb
The controls have an “Away” setting that turns the unit fan on , circulates the air and checks temperature. It then switches on the compressor and runs until it sees a 1 degree F drop in temperature then shuts off for 4 hours. This dehumidifies the cabin . It is best to shut off all ventilation so the air stays dry.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good score Ward. We are going to have to add Scrounger, to your nickname. It is a skill and a talent.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ward. You have an bet on the Oregon teams in the March Madness. Only folk I know that air handlers as “duck’s”.

The rest of the folk call them “ducts”. But it is your boat and I support your right to call them what you want.

Just was concerned that your trip west might have altered your thinking a bit.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Ward,
its possible to get the R22 but expensive, however the volume of the stuff in that AC unit is relatively low compared to a home system.
Presently, I believe residential systems are a couple of generations removed from R22 if they even used it. I had the misfortune of a heat pump crashing last year at about 20 minutes beyond warranty. The cost of leak testing with the old refrigerant was so prohibitive coupled with the age of the unit made me decide to replace the whole thing. The people who cornered the market on the remaining old refrigerant are making a killing selling it by the pound.