Schaefer 2100 furling line

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
For our boat, does anyone know what is the line length and diameter for the furling line for the Schaefer 2100 - I have the 135 genoa. What kind of line are you using? Is it worth getting a fancy dyneema or spectra line?
Thank you!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
When my rigger replaced mine he removed the cover on the front section of the line. That lets more of it wrap on the drum, but keeps it a comfortable size for handling at the cockpit. Pretty common technique; easy for him to do, but not for me.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
No need for dyneema, etc. Actually, a line one size larger than standard is desirable for a better "hand", as Marchem describes. There are times, when the breeze kicks up, that the standard line felt like it was cutting into my hand. I went one size larger, but didn't modify the drum. As long as I am careful when unfurling the sail, I don't have issues with the line wrapping in the drum.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I have it extra long so we can use any winch for reefing in high winds did this also for the main sail inhaul sheet,

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I use standard Ste-Set. I was using 3/8" but occasionally it would jam so I went back down a size which I can't remember even thought I just did it. 110' sounds like a lot (hint: I just took it down to West Marine and measured it, then got the same length of what I wanted and cut it off).

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
use any winch for reefing in high winds
There are no “rules” about this, but having to use a winch to furl the sail is placing a lot of strain on your systems. They are not generally built to sustain high forces during the furling of the sail. A winch can add a lot of force to the evolution.

A better strategy is to reduce the force in the fore sail, head up a little while you let out the jib/Genoa sheet and draw in the furling line.

Affirm that the lead on the furling line is fair, and occasionally rinse the furling drum with fresh water and a smidge of liquid dish soap to keep the bearings clean. Your furler should rotate as smoothly as your well maintained winch.

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Well I finally measured my furling line and it measured out at 67'. Yes - In heavier winds I also do a quick turn off the wind to use the main to block the jib as it is reefed in. I've recently replaced some of my lines with Samson Warpspeed II which is dyneema covered with 24 strand polyester which handles well, with no slippage in the clutches. I will consider using this line when the furling line needs replacement (soon).