SBO store measurements for running rigging

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Anyone have experience with this:

When I go into my H410 owners manual on page 46A; the mainsail, jib, and spinnaker halyard lengths are all listed as 118 ft. Same numbers are listed for both furling/traditional mainsails.

When I use this site's store running rigging calculator I get this: (all numbers lead to the cockpit)

Mainsail halyard
Length: 125 feet versus 118 feet from the manual

Jib/genoa halyard
Length: 131 feet versus 118 feet from the manual

Spinnaker halyard,
Length: 136 feet versus 136 feet from the manual

Jib/genoa sheet

Length: 66 feet versus 40 feet from the manual

Anyone hazard a guess why the discrepancy between each? When in doubt, go big and cut later but I'm a sailor after all and hate to be wasteful.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Jib should be easy enough to measure. The halyards, tie a smaller rope like you'd use as a messenger line. Pule it to there you'd have your halyard, mark it, pull back out and measure. Or, just measure the halyard once it's out of the mast. Keep these measurements in a maintenance manual!

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
I agree that they are all easy enough to measure. My question is why the measurements are so far apart between the SBO Store and the Hunter Owners manual?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The answer is.... who knows? That's the reason you should always develop your own specs for your particular boat. The order what you want, not what some unverified data base quotes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Lurker, could it be that the manual is showing the minimum length at the mast, while the SBO listing is measuring to the cockpit and giving you some tail to have (store in cockpit) so you can grab the lines from across the cockpit.

As Joe points out different owners will buy a length of line that fits their need. There is a bare minimum (up to the mast head and back down to the deck) and there is "what I want to have, just in case".

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Here's how I measured my main halyard without removing it. I tied a stopper in the end that exits the lower mast sheave (the end that does not attach to the tack), and then pulled it "down" (like lowering the main) until the stopper stopped it. I threaded a thin line (I used whipping line) through the halyard, or you could use tape, about as far up toward the masthead as I could easily reach, and measured from the mark to the tack end of the halyard. I then tied a messenger to the tack snap shackle and pulled it the other way until the shackle was stopped by the sheave (i.e., as far as it would go). Then it is easy to measure from the mark to the other end. My halyard was obviously long enough for the mark to exit the lower sheave.
Of course, if you don't mind not sailing while the new line is delivered, it's much easier to pull it with an attached messenger and just measure it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Isak that sounds pretty involved.
I looked up the length of my mast - 42 feet, times 2 = 84 feet. Added 6 feet for comfort (personal choice - you might want only 3 feet) and bought 90 feet of line.
If mast was 10 feet from the cockpit and the lines ran there I'd buy 100 feet.
Easy job. Next

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Yes, kind of (tho my explanation is long). However, I wanted to be quite close as I had a line I could use and I wanted to make sure it was not too short, so I could pull the new line using the old. Turns out it was about 4 in longer, so it worked out.