SBO PacificNW Racing Crew Report

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You guys are shameless teases. What will the members be thinking. Like Yogi Berra said. “It's deja vu all over again.”

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
Crew shifts are a bitch...
I limited my nap to 2 hours. Felt I might be in the way of your aggressive moves if I tried to nap in the cockpit.

Just knew we would be cruising to a win with the Skipper at the helm. I slept peacefully, feeling no need for a lee cloth.

Oct 22, 2014
The Nightmare.

A Nightmare sneaks up on you like fog. It lures you into a comfort zone an almost euphoric experience, only to pounce when you unexpectantly look away.

We settled into the regime of sailing on dark waters. The lights and patterns of the shadowed coastline become your guide. The night wind shifted to NNW. We confronted a 9nm beat towards Saratoga Passage.

Hayden took the helm after our rounding of Possession Point. The first leg started on a favorable 0.5 kt current, near the center of the channel. The Eastern shore provided a bit of a lift. The Western shore (WhidbeyIslIsle) put you into a wind shadow. If you ventured too close to the shore, you were becalmed. The moon reflection showed the wind ripples on the water. The moon took over the clear sky reflecting a quarter moon light aiding the sailors. Of course, there is the Washington State Ferry that crossed our path through the night, teasing us. Tempting us, lit up like a Christmas tree, there in the dark, steaming at 18-20 kts, sending a wake down the sound to mess with our sail set in the breeze. We would need to time our crossing of their path with care.

The winds and currents emboldened Hayden at the Helm. During the next 2 hours Papillon would reward his spirit and steady hand. Papillon took a bite of the wind on a port tack clawing her way towards the eastern shore. Uneasy in her progress. Hayden used the Garmin chart plotter to help determine our VMG (Velocity Made Good) towards Gedney Island. Papillon was not yet ready. Not settling into the rhythm. Fighting the helm showing a VMG of 1. Nearing the shore Hayden called for a tack to starboard. With crew searching the black waters for other boats the helm was a lee and Papillon reacted. Like a racehorse released from the gates we were off on a thrilling 4nm ride. Hayden shares the experience: “I settled into the groove on this tack. Crew called out heading as Papillon rewarded him with a constant 31º Apparent wind angle with a 20º heel.” Clearly, we were in the zone making +5vmg towards our goal. “Life was Good!”.
1686250635656.jpeg
1686250699427.jpeg

Sailing is a give and take kind of activity. For every magical ride there is a hill to climb. On Port tack the zip felt gone. Hayden describes it thus… “On each port tack I had a difficult time getting Papillon to settle.” When I came back to the cockpit after gearing up for the night sail he commented “It is like I can only sail on Starboard tack.”

1686250862043.jpeg

About 11:30 after he had beaten the channel back and forth working our way in a Northerly direction, our skipper changed the watch. Ever attentive to the crews needs he went below to change clothes, prepped some sandwiches, made coffee, then checked in with our secret sailor (Hayden’s wife Sue, who was watching our progress on computer and providing tactical sailing insight). Coming up with sandwiches for the crew, Hayden’s feel of the boat provided guidance, “maybe we should shorten our tacks”. Eventually, Hayden rested down in the cabin on the starboard settee. He needed to be ready for the 0200 watch.

Trying this new strategy, our deck crew became quite proficient at smooth quick tacks that kept the boat from stalling. We moved through the dark looking for that time to challenge the ferry during a lull in their crossings.

Through the dark hours, we made positive progress towards our goal, rounding Sand Point, and charging up Saratoga passage towards the finish line. From time to time we could see various boats on the water as their running lights twinkled against the black shadowed east and west shores. The breezes though light were enough to keep us moving. We found a puff holding a reasonable tack with and against the currents. We avoided the Ferries and progressed to the dark mound of Gedney island. The monotony was occasionally spiced with a sailboat appearing out of the dark trying to cross our path. All eyes scanned our identified quadrants trying to identify the light images of red, white, green / or red white/ green white / red green. We crossed the bow of one boat, and astern of another. As quickly as they appeared they would disappear, their running lights blending into the lights on the shoreline.

As the witching hour, 0200, arrived so did the skipper, after apparently being rolled (without notice) out of his nice warm berth due to a starboard tack, in our gentle breeze. He announced he was awake and ready to take the watch. Briefed on our position, the dangers we were avoiding, he took the helm.

I sought the comfort of a bench, the settee in the cabin, to lay down and rest my eyes. Who knew being on edge searching for wind puffs and sail boats in the dark could be so energy draining.

Words just do not give justice to the sailing nightmare Hayden experienced at the helm that watch. Here is the record of our track. As the wind disappeared, the currents took over. I’ll let record of our track tell the story…

1686251404260.jpeg

1686251439966.jpeg

1686251465690.jpeg

1686251493083.jpeg

1686251524374.jpeg

You have to live it to comprehend the frustration that overwhelms as you try and search every sailing trick you have ever heard about in an attempt to get free from the nightmare.

When I came up about 0500 rested climbing into the cockpit I asked, “How are we doing”. “We are in the same XX$&**% place we were when you went below for your NAPPIE…”

Instantly I knew… it had not been a good night.

May 16, 2023
Catalina 30 Everett
The Nightmare.

A Nightmare sneaks up on you like fog. It lures you into a comfort zone an almost euphoric experience, only to pounce when you unexpectantly look away.

We settled into the regime of sailing on dark waters. The lights and patterns of the shadowed coastline become your guide. The night wind shifted to NNW. We confronted a 9nm beat towards Saratoga Passage.

Hayden took the helm after our rounding of Possession Point. The first leg started on a favorable 0.5 kt current, near the center of the channel. The Eastern shore provided a bit of a lift. The Western shore (WhidbeyIslIsle) put you into a wind shadow. If you ventured too close to the shore, you were becalmed. The moon reflection showed the wind ripples on the water. The moon took over the clear sky reflecting a quarter moon light aiding the sailors. Of course, there is the Washington State Ferry that crossed our path through the night, teasing us. Tempting us, lit up like a Christmas tree, there in the dark, steaming at 18-20 kts, sending a wake down the sound to mess with our sail set in the breeze. We would need to time our crossing of their path with care.

The winds and currents emboldened Hayden at the Helm. During the next 2 hours Papillon would reward his spirit and steady hand. Papillon took a bite of the wind on a port tack clawing her way towards the eastern shore. Uneasy in her progress. Hayden used the Garmin chart plotter to help determine our VMG (Velocity Made Good) towards Gedney Island. Papillon was not yet ready. Not settling into the rhythm. Fighting the helm showing a VMG of 1. Nearing the shore Hayden called for a tack to starboard. With crew searching the black waters for other boats the helm was a lee and Papillon reacted. Like a racehorse released from the gates we were off on a thrilling 4nm ride. Hayden shares the experience: “I settled into the groove on this tack. Crew called out heading as Papillon rewarded him with a constant 31º Apparent wind angle with a 20º heel.” Clearly, we were in the zone making +5vmg towards our goal. “Life was Good!”.
View attachment 216599View attachment 216600

Sailing is a give and take kind of activity. For every magical ride there is a hill to climb. On Port tack the zip felt gone. Hayden describes it thus… “On each port tack I had a difficult time getting Papillon to settle.” When I came back to the cockpit after gearing up for the night sail he commented “It is like I can only sail on Starboard tack.”

View attachment 216601

About 11:30 after he had beaten the channel back and forth working our way in a Northerly direction, our skipper changed the watch. Ever attentive to the crews needs he went below to change clothes, prepped some sandwiches, made coffee, then checked in with our secret sailor (Hayden’s wife Sue, who was watching our progress on computer and providing tactical sailing insight). Coming up with sandwiches for the crew, Hayden’s feel of the boat provided guidance, “maybe we should shorten our tacks”. Eventually, Hayden rested down in the cabin on the starboard settee. He needed to be ready for the 0200 watch.

Trying this new strategy, our deck crew became quite proficient at smooth quick tacks that kept the boat from stalling. We moved through the dark looking for that time to challenge the ferry during a lull in their crossings.

Through the dark hours, we made positive progress towards our goal, rounding Sand Point, and charging up Saratoga passage towards the finish line. From time to time we could see various boats on the water as their running lights twinkled against the black shadowed east and west shores. The breezes though light were enough to keep us moving. We found a puff holding a reasonable tack with and against the currents. We avoided the Ferries and progressed to the dark mound of Gedney island. The monotony was occasionally spiced with a sailboat appearing out of the dark trying to cross our path. All eyes scanned our identified quadrants trying to identify the light images of red, white, green / or red white/ green white / red green. We crossed the bow of one boat, and astern of another. As quickly as they appeared they would disappear, their running lights blending into the lights on the shoreline.

As the witching hour, 0200, arrived so did the skipper, after apparently being rolled (without notice) out of his nice warm berth due to a starboard tack, in our gentle breeze. He announced he was awake and ready to take the watch. Briefed on our position, the dangers we were avoiding, he took the helm.

I sought the comfort of a bench, the settee in the cabin, to lay down and rest my eyes. Who knew being on edge searching for wind puffs and sail boats in the dark could be so energy draining.

Words just do not give justice to the sailing nightmare Hayden experienced at the helm that watch. Here is the record of our track. As the wind disappeared, the currents took over. I’ll let record of our track tell the story…

View attachment 216603

View attachment 216604

View attachment 216605

View attachment 216606

View attachment 216607

You have to live it to comprehend the frustration that overwhelms as you try and search every sailing trick you have ever heard about in an attempt to get free from the nightmare.

When I came up about 0500 rested climbing into the cockpit I asked, “How are we doing”. “We are in the same XX$&**% place we were when you went below for your NAPPIE…”

Instantly I knew… it had not been a good night.
Thanks for the write-up John. I was wondering if you were going to include the part where we knocked Hayden out of bed! But that just means that our tacks were getting faster, right?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks for the write-up John. I was wondering if you were going to include the part where we knocked Hayden out of bed! But that just means that our tacks were getting faster, right?
I have been trying to talk Sue into letting me install a lee cloth on that berth but she will not allow it. That is HER mid-life crissis and she has veto power over any changes.

When we decided to buy Papillon twenty four years ago, we decided that she would be both of our midlife crises. Since you can't really share a midlife crisis there had to be 2 of them. Mine goes from the Pointy-end of the anchor and the longest dockline in to the companionway, where hers begins.

She agreed to help me enjoy my midlife crisis to the fullest provided I don't screw hers up.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes Jolly, your tacks were righteous. Smooth, Fast, powerful. You guys were in sync. It was poetry of motion.

Made my job at the helm look good. Thank you.
So Hayden took a little spill. Our motto in the milk business.
Don’t cry over a little spill.:biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
The final chapter...

RUN to the FINISH

With the dawn came a breeze. After futzing about for that last 3 hours the morning breeze felt good. It started with ripples on the water. We urged Papillon on to each puff and soon we were out of our funk and finding our way up the Saratoga Passage to the Finish in Oak Harbor.
1686271549817.png

19nm separated us from the glory of finishing the race. At 0500 the watch was changed. I took the first attempt to break free of our Nightmare. With the wind out of the WSW we were the first of 4-boats stuck at Gedney to pop our spinnaker as the Star of Papillon propelled us on our way up the eastern shore of the passage along Camino Island. We sought to keep up our speed and yet point high enough to clear Lowell Point. @Jolly Peño took the helm and Papillon found her sweet spot. She sailed like a Champion Mare in the Kentucky Derby. Covering the first 10nm in about 2.5 hours. From 0600 to 0900 we were averaging 4 to 5 knots in 7.5-8.5 knots apparent.
1686271591920.jpeg

We were playing catch-me if you can, with 3 of the San Juan 24 racers. We needed a strong wind steady to really have a chance. At times we closed on the SJ24’s they would point up into the wind and we would ride up and over them, only to have the wind slacken and they would sneak up as the light zephyrs gave them an edge.

Time to break out our PsyOps as Hayden called this tactic. WHAT? Yes… Cookies… Freshly baked Chocolate Chip Cookies… Sneak up to windward of our opponent and open the oven door. Wave the tray of fresh baked cookies and watch what happens on the competition’s boat.

Hayden said we may or may not win, but we will have some fun doing it.
1686271678711.jpeg

The finish barely 3 nm away we started to feel the excitement of the finish line.

That last hour was nerve racking. Just 3 nm to go and we were ahead of two and closing on and sailing over the third. We could see the finish line. We were four boats all striving towards that line in the water. Where did the wind go? Why are we not staying ahead of them? What are we dragging? Only our butts it would seem. ♪Wind to the north of me, breeze to the south, here I am, stuck in the middle with you. ♫
1686271703499.jpeg

We would finally cross the line at 10:10 AM 28 May, 2023.

23 hours from our start on the other side of Whidbey Island. We were among the finishers.

What a joy. This sail will be the same and different for all the crew as we reflect on the experience.

For me it is my first RWR in less than 24 hours. A real accomplishment. Did we run a perfect race… No! But we did one hell of a good job. I learn something about the Sound each time I sail on her. The winds, the currents, the wind shadows, the changes that occur as the sun moves through the sky.

If you get a chance… I would encourage you to give the RWR a try in 2024.

Oct 22, 2014
Well that is the story of the 2023 RWR.

It was an experience that would not have been possible without the crew members from here at the SBO Forums. The SBO PacificNW Racing Crew 2023.
  • MikeHoncho - ForeDeck Man extraordinaire. When we board a boat we all wonder how we can fit in. How will we contribute to the team. The first day Hayden introduced MH to the foredeck and it was like he just claimed it. We were fortunate that our sailing conditions were moderate. There is no doubt in my mind that MH would have been in his element had the conditions been more sporty.

• 1686318961545.png
    • He handled the asymmetrical like he had managed it for years, yet this was a first time. At the end of our adventure I think he fell in love with the idea of sailing with a big pretty light wind sail. Not yet 12 hours off the boat he was already looking at buying one or making one. Good on you MH.
    • One of the joys of racing includes the down time when you can share thoughts with fellow crew. Though we were with out wine MH gave me a lot to think about . He has a terrific history in the Emergency Aid field. It is easy to see that he is a great instructor.
    • Thank you for your camaraderie. I look forward to sailing again with you.
  • Colb218 - brought the enthusiasm of a new boat owner looking to explore new sailing experiences.
    • Owner of a C&C34 and a SJ24 he brought some racing experience but mostly learning more about the challenges of sailing big water and greater exposure to the Sound and it's sailing conditions.
    • Not shy he stepped up to what ever crew task might be needed. Docking, Grinder, Helm, sail recovery etc. He moved about the boat like a sailor with years of experience. A steady hand.
    • I hope we can make some sail time together, out of Everett. Perhaps a visit to that C&C is in the future.
  • Jolly Peño - When we started out I heard JP say that he did not spend much time at the helm on his boat. I have a feeling that might change.
    • He has a natural hand with the helm. Calm and steady. Papillon rewarded his nurturing as we sailed up the Saratoga passage making all of our bearings keeping our speed.
    • His focus standing watch is terrific. Often I have found new sailors become bored or their focus drifts as they stand/sit in the cockpit trying to maintain the situational awareness of the boat and the other racers. JP was a sharp eyed wonder. Able to pick out the competitors during the dark hours. He has the sharp eyesight of an eagle.
    • Being another Catalina 30 owner, I look forward to seeing him out on the water giving that boat some exercise.
Thank you all guys for a wonderful experience.

The Crew....

1686320288251.png

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks John for the awesome write up and all that you brought to the boat as navigator and watcher of all things weather and current. It was a joy again to have you aboard as well as the couple of days before while we did final prep. You are welcome to join Sue and I anytime you are in Oak Harbor.

Crew, thanks again for the great work and fun times that we had in this year's RWR. It was a pleasure and honor to sail with each of you and I look forward to future adventures.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
"A Nightmare sneaks up on you like fog. It lures you into a comfort zone an almost euphoric experience, only to pounce when you unexpectantly look away." This one line is worthy of inclusion in an award-winning novel. Your expository writing is excellent, and of course, we all enjoy the subject. If I could scramble around a boat faster, I'd be tempted to join you. Beer can racing is about all that's in my future. I applaud your attitude and fortitude.