SBO PacificNW Racing Crew Report

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The inaugural SBO PacificNW Racing Crew met on the dock and took on the 2023 Round Whidbey Sailboat race over the May 27-28 weekend aboard SV Papillon. Hayden Watson, Papillon’s owner gave me a call and said… “Hey John. Your boat is still in the hospital, you want to be my Tactician and go racing?” Feeling the withdrawals of being a beached sailor, I shouted "ABSOLUTELY!"

Papillon is a well outfitted Catalina 30 Mk 2 Tall Rig. Knowing that Hayden had just given her a fresh new suit of sails, what could be better than testing them on an overnight semi endurance race. What about crew? Hayden said he had several feelers out with Catalina owners who had shown interest. Great.

Preparation was going smoothly until 2 weeks before the race when I got a call. "Hey John, this is Hayden. We got a problem. It is just the two of us. For various reasons the other 4 guys can’t make it. Know any crew…"

"Let me make some calls." A quick PM to several SBO members and within 5 days we had 3 SBO sailors who said yes, their wives and families had kicked them out of the house to come play on the sea.

SBO Crew: Hayden Watson, jssailem, MikeHoncho, Jolly Peño, colb218

The first SBO Racing team I know about in the Pacific NW.

The race is a 65NM challenge of wind, tides, energy, and patience. Racers have 30 hours to sail the course that starts on the Easterly end of Juan D Fuca Strait. The course takes the boats Southerly along the west facing edge of Whidbey Island to Partridge Point. Race rules say leave all green buoys around the Island to port. From Partridge point we pass through Admiralty Inlet Easterly into the Puget Sound, along with all the Military and Commercial shipping traffic that visits the Port of Seattle. Our next turn point is Possession Point, the halfway mark of the race. In some years just making it to the Halfway mark within the allotted 30 hours is an accomplishment. Possession Sound leads racers North towards Gedney Island (named Hat Island by the locals) which stands at the Northerly top of Possession Sound. The last turn is at Sand Point. It leads the boats into Saratoga Passage in a Westerly direction to the finish at Oak Harbor.

Yes, we sail towards each of the 4-compass headings over the 30 hour period. The sailor’s rumor about the Salish Sea, 'untie the lines on any given day and the winds on the Sea will be on the bow no matter which direction you choose. There's that, and then the tides will, two times a day, be pushing you in a direction you don’t want to go.

Boats and crews assemble in Cornet Bay State Park on the North end of Whidbey Island, Washington. Most boats gather at the docks of the Park on Friday evening. Crews meet and enjoy a last shore prepared meal by the Race Hosts from Oak Harbor Yacht Club. The rules are discussed then crews return to their boats for the evening. Last minute fixes are done. Boat bottoms are scrubbed. Last minute scrutiny is made of weather forecasts, last beers are downed, busy work happens as sailors’ anticipation mounts for the 11AM morning start.

Boats begin leaving around 9AM to navigate the currents of Deception Passage. Sightseers wave as we pass beneath the bridge, through the rock faces on each side of the passage.

On board we discuss the water currents as this will be the first time some of the crew have transitioned through the treacherous waters of the passage.

Prior to race day Hayden had shared his goals for the race with the crew.

My goals in order of importance​

1. Be safe.​
  2. Have fun.​
  3. Improve all of our skills as skippers.​
  4. Make it to Possession Point.​
  5. Complete the race.​
This last one is certainly the hardest and do not be surprised or disappointed if we do not reach that goal.​
Part 2: The Race begins.....

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Man, I'm so sorry to miss this race this year. Maybe next year. I'll put it on my calendar now so if there is room, I'll have it planned.
@jssailem I'm waiting with much anticipation for the next chapter.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
While we are waiting for John's next chapter, I will add a bit of backstory. John raced with me in the RWR several years ago and as he said, I asked him to be my off-watch skipper and tactician. I had a group of seven C30 owners lined up to select crew from as far away as Hawaii and South Caralina but one by one, "life" got in the way of their participation. You know, little things like blowing out a knee and having knee surgery or a new contract starting early. :facepalm:

Thankfully the SBO crew came through in spades and we had a great bunch that performed excellently.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I was inspired by the story to ring up my OpenCPN and look at the charts of the area. Looks like a great adventure!

Oct 22, 2014
Thanks Andrew. It is a fun route. Never the same. Often boring spiced up with excitement. A challenge to navigate the various tidal flows. Guess right and your cruising along at 2 knots no wind. Guess wrong and you're in a gyre that takes you in circles, very slowly.

Apr 5, 2009
Thanks Andrew. It is a fun route. Never the same. Often boring spiced up with excitement. A challenge to navigate the various tidal flows. Guess right and your cruising along at 2 knots no wind. Guess wrong and you're in a gyre that takes you in circles, very slowly.
You HAD to restart the nightmares from the 2019 merry-go-round off Marrowstone!

Oct 22, 2014
An asymmetrical is a great sail for the use on the Salish Sea/Puget Sound. Many times during the summer the winds are light and variable. Where others will firs up the iron genny, you can sail by them quietly showing your colors.

Here are SV Hadley's colors.

1685630822921.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
That is one ginormous sail... And you got that qualified to race... That looks like the size of the Whomper used in the movie Wind.

Apr 5, 2009
That is what the boat that was in front of me at the windward mark said the first time I flew it in a W/L race (which was one of our ubiquitous Juans). The exact quote was "HEY, who turned out the lights. What is that thing, the Whomper!"
When we got back to the dock, he said "I changed to the flying class to get away from you and then you buy that thing!?!?" Response. I didn't buy it. Sue made it for me for my birthday present. :biggrin:

Oct 22, 2014
Here we go with Part Two.. The Race...

RACE DAY – The Beginning

Friday is positioning day. MikeHoncho joins Hayden and me at the boat in Oak Harbor. We prepare to depart the slip with full fuel, Propane tanks, and water in the tanks - enough to help us survive the next 60 hours at sea.

During the “3-hour tour” to Cornet Bay. Hayden reviewed the Foredeck procedures with MikeHoncho. Raising & Lowering the Asymmetrical, Jibing the Asymmetrical, Setting and changing the Preventer and most important Hoisting our Colors - the SBO Burgee.
1685719984828.jpeg

The rest of the crew arrived Saturday morning, with Hayden, about 8AM. Hayden conducted an orientation and safety brief for the assembled crew. Crew shirts were distributed. We went about the business of stowing all gear.

The skipper of the 27ft boat ahead of us on the dock came by to inquire if we would be untying our lines soon.

A couple of people on a sailboat  Description automatically generated with low confidence

Getting to the start line presents its own challenge. We need to untie the lines and get away from the dock. Boats are packed in like sardines, bow to stern. It looks a bit like dominoes as skippers instruct crew to pushout the bow or stern, so the next boat has room. It was only 9AM. We were in no hurry to leave the dock just to spend an hour bobbing around in the swell waiting for the race start. Yet, not wanting to upset the race Commodore on his first race, we finished our preparations and untied our lines.

The Adventure Begins.

We headed out to Deception Passage under power about 30 minutes before slack tide. Our passage through 600 yard the tidal passage was uneventful. Hayden, having studied the pass and its ever-changing structures, share his secrets with the crew.

We were through and into the Juan D Fuca. There was a small swell and no wind of significance. We had hoped for a forecasted 10 knot breeze. It was like a still pond. We found the start by heading to the group of 11 sailboats circling like vultures over fresh meat.
With 30 minutes to kill we fiddled with lines, and prepped sails. We cruised the line, checked in with the committee boat and tried to decide our tactical plan.

There was a 0.5 kt current running towards Partridge point out about 2.5nm from shore. We were in the second start group. Swoosh. Just as Group 1 starts a 7 knot breeze blows in from the SSW. Our decision is made. We are heading to the current. 30 seconds…. Under Main and Genoa we are on starboard tack to leeward of the line.
An opening present’s and we tack to the line. Crossing the line at 4 knots, plus 20 seconds. We are off. A clean start no fouls.
1685720337184.png

With Genoa sheeted tight, we are the circled boat in our fleet of 8, chasing 51ft Sorcerer to Partridge Point.
The winds were at best, fickle. Ranging from an exciting 10 knots to a touch on the cheek 2 knots. We jumped from wind pocket to pocket riding the current.

Scooting ahead of the SJ 24 boats, riding currents, tacking to starboard chasing a lift, we make our way Southerly. At times closing in on the leaders only to lose the wind and watch the fleet catch up on us.
1685720738325.jpeg

The breeze shifts towards the west as we proceed along the West side of Whidbey island. We were generally pleased with our progress down to Partridge Pt needing only two tacks to sail the 11nm. Closing on the leaders leaving most of the fleet of San Juan 24s behind. As we approach the turning b
1685729814711.png
uoy, we are within 1/4nm of the Fleet 1 boats (the fast shells) even though early in the race this sparked excitement among the crew.

Crew life aboard Papillon are ever changing roles. All 5 of the crew take the helm, tended the sails, or wait out of the way keeping an eye on our position and searching the vast expanse of water for that next wind field or drifting flotsam of kelp. It was agreed, “Let’s not run into the kelp”. No wanted to be the crew member to dive under the boat and free the keel/rudder of kelp.

Rounding Partridge Point, skippers face the first major tidal challenge, Admiralty Inlet.

1685729902807.jpeg

At Partridge Point we felt we were in a good position to deal with the current. For a bit of time, we tried to sneak along the northern side of Admiralty Inlet, while the breeze held. But soon it became apparent that the breeze was slacking and swinging west northwest, the tide was building. Plan B was to jibe and cross over to the Point Wilson side. But first we needed to let our spinnaker fly...

1685730094602.png

1685730825114.png

Hayden and I discussed our options and agreed Plan B was the best. Crossing the adverse current was a risk. Our hope of getting more wind toward PT Townsend Bay and the lesser current speeds off Marrowstone Point pushed us forward.

The two images of our track tell the story about how sometimes the best plans become victims to the changing conditions. As we approached midway in our route the wind weakened and the current continued to EBB. Pt Wilson Lighthouse was in our sights, but we could not close on it. Finally, the current changed to flood with a nice increase in a following breeze. And we were again on our way.

1685735441796.png

1685735666411.png

Part 3 We sprint to the Half Way line of the Race.

Oct 22, 2014
Part Three. The Sound, Ship Traffic and the Sprint to Half Way.

Once across to the South side of the Sound, moving beyond Point Wilson, we cross the opening to Port Townsend Bay.
1685735820914.png

Coming out of PT Bay the Washington State Ferry greats us. We have a good breeze out of the NW now so with confidence and a bit of looking over our shoulder we cross in front of the ferry on our way towards Marrowstone Point. The chart reminds boaters of the tidal rip near the point. The sea floor rises from 70 fathoms in channel to 8 near the point. The tidal movement across the changing sea bed stirs the surface waters. Hayden and I revisited our 2019 experience. It was an ugly 2 hours delay along the Marrowstone Shoreline.

1685732459014.png
We decided to stay well out of the Marrowstone Rip Tide. While it is a rush of waters to the South it comes with the danger of getting trapped in the gyer that runs along Marrowstone Shoreline. Get trapped there and you can easily waste hours sitting back while the world goes by..

As we passed Marrowstone Point with a building breeze our best Rhumb line would be a bearing to Double Bluff.
This track while shortest included some risks. We would have to cross the Vessel Traffic Service Area (VTS).

Crossing of the Sound and the VTS seemed like a good plan. It was working to our advantage… till the Saturday departures of the cruise ships heading to Alaska, a freighter trying to make port in Seattle the Sunday, and a Tug hauling fuel north to Bellingham showed up on AIS.

Those pink lines in the middle of the sound are like freeway lanes for the big ships. In the VTS we were crossing their freeway. Like a game of Frogger you pick your time to cross and take your chances.

We were about to the turning circle (that circled area off Bush Point) heading for Bush Pt, when the Tug and barge, steaming on a plus 2 current, appeared on AIS. The computer warned us that based on present
1685736983225.png
speed and bearing of both vessels CPA would be about 200ft. Way to close for the Skipper. We jibbed back towards the center safety zone -no man’s land (darker pink zone). The wind was freshening towards 15 kt’s so along with making our escape from the tug we had to bring the spinnaker down. This was an “All hands-on deck” evolution with wind, sail and wind swells challenging our actions.

The tug and barge passed us well to port and we resumed our course Southeasterly towards Double Bluff and the Race Sprint marker off Scatchet Head. The Race committee knows that tide and wind may make
1685737176859.png
finishing the race impossible for the fleets. Racers are to record the time they cross a bearing line to the G 1 FL G 6s Gong. This is the race Halfway point. In some years just to get there in less than the 30 hour limit is a real accomplishment. We made it this year just past 2111 hours doing 7.3 kts SOG.
1685737797473.png

1685737346722.png
I call the Possession Point turn infamous because in the last 4 trips making the turn has placed the boats in the wind shadow of the 425ft bluff with slow moving tides that swirl the green gong buoy. The seal population find it a resting place and sing the sirens song trying to lure unsuspecting sailors to the prison of the tides.

We were having none of this and made our turn wide of the buoy near mid channel. We watched as a couple of unsuspecting sailors became becalmed in what looked like the short cut.

1685737545725.png

PART 4 NIGHT SAILING

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Excellent write up John. The screen shot of the chart plotter for the finish of the Whidbey Sprint was one to keep.
7.29-kts in 10.7kts true wind @ 135º off port with an appearent wind angle of 90º. I will take those numbers in my fat old cruising boat any day!
We were doing a fair bit better than that before we dropped the spinnaker in the traffic jam off Bush point. At that time, we were less than a mile behind Gecko and she has a PHRF of 105 compared to our 195. We were also ahead of Sorcerer which is a Hylas 51 with a PHRF of 126 so we were pretty happy.

Whidbey Sprint Finish.jpg