Saying Goodbye to an old friend

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
My old boat went through haul-out and sea trial Friday. The new owner takes possession this week. I know all the old sayings about the two happiest days, however I've had this boat for 15 years and all the work has been a labor of love. I wish her well on her new journeys. She will reside in Ventura. It is with mixed emotions that I will carry on this week. I will leave a note for the new owner letting him know about this website. He is new to sailboats and I'm sure will have lots of questions. This is the place for answers. I have a few minor items to clear up from the survey but all in all it went pretty good. Adios to Sea of Gold my first boat.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Must be very bitter sweet. Wonderful to have such great memories. Know that I will feel the same way when my time comes even if there is a newer boat afterwards.
Best of luck.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
:(:(:(

I'm just hauling mine out on the 18th...and that's all I can bear! Can't imagine what 15 years with the same craft feels like. Best of luck with the new girl! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
It will be one sad day for me whenever I have to part with my ol' girl of almost 20 years now, Fraulein II. You can replace a boat but you can't replace that 'first love' feeling. Best wishes to you both.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
We have 8 seasons with ours and I just listed her for sale. I can relate with the bittersweet feeling. This is my first/only boat and I grew and learned from her. I almost don't want to part with her except the admiral gave me permission to look bigger. I just dread having to do all those upgrades over again. Sorry for your loss and I really mean that. We do grow to love our boats!

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Take solace. Lots of new adventure awaits her and her new owner(s)! Ventura is a great harbor for accessing the northern Channel Islands. She may even end up at the marina we're in, especially if the new owner wishes to have a live aboard slip. What model of sailboat?

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
So my Catalina 30 "Sea of Gold" is no longer my boat. I picked up a check and handed over the keys today. The new owner will be sailing her to the new home on Saturday. I'm a one boat owner again. Fair winds and calm seas "Goldie".

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
First boat (if you don't count a Sea Snark) was a Columbia T23 - GEM. Had her for 35 yrs, then moved up to an O'Day 272. I've had Harbinger for almost 5 yrs - 1st 2 or 3 yrs I was questioning why I 'traded in' my T23. Now I'm glad I have the O'Day.