Saw the Comet last evening.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Out on the boat at sunset last evening when the comet Neowise appeared in the western sky, maybe 30 degrees above the horizon. Still fairly bright although the hazy conditions last evening made it hard to see as the horizon approached with advancing night. However, with a clear and flat horizon it might remain visible for half an hour after sunset, I estimate. Visible with the naked eye but use binoculars for detail.:)

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It was over the PNW last week. Pretty cool figuring you or multiple generations won’t see it again

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Pretty cool figuring you or multiple generations won’t see it again
I just had to figure this out. 6,800 orbital period divided by 30 year generations means 226.6 generations before it returns. I think those people will get tired of saying great-great-great...

Who knows. maybe by then, humans will have been out there looking at it before it heads back in.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I just had to figure this out. 6,800 orbital period divided by 30 year generations means 226.6 generations before it returns. I think those people will get tired of saying great-great-great...

Who knows. maybe by then, humans will have been out there looking at it before it heads back in.
I knew it was in the thousands but could quote it. That amazing

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
In March of 1996, Comet Hyakutake, which was discovered in January of that year, flew past the earth. I remember standing in my backyard totally amassed at the beauty of it. So much so, I pulled out my 35mm camera and took a photo. The picture is somewhere in a box. I will have to dig it up. Really impressive I would say. LOL