Satallite GPS messaging devices

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
On an earlier thread, we got on a tangent about some of these new-ish satellite gps messaging devices. So as to not hijack that thread, I started this one.

Which ones have you used? What did you like about them? What could use improvements? What was the cost to purchase and then what was the cost to use them?

I found a few review articles to get us started

Switchback Travel | Best Satellite Messengers of 2023
The 5 Best Satellite Messengers of 2023
The Best Satellite Messengers of 2023
https://www.rei.com/blog/hike/which-satellite-messenger-should-you-get

I have used SPOT and was able to buy an older generation (but still functional) unit on eBay for less than $50. To use the service, you have to set up an account and fees vary depending on what functionality you select.

Edit: The basic spot has an "okay" button that will send a prerecored message to a group of individual's email along with a GPS pin on a map. It also has a "send help" button" for non-emergencies (like the battery on your car is dead and you are stuck in the woods) and an SOS button that sends search and rescue. You can also buy an insurance policy that will cover a helicopter med-vac if that should ever happen. Newer SPOTS allow two-way texting but I have never used it so I can't say how good it works.

Last edited:
May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
When I took the Scouts on our circumnavigations of the DELMARVA peninsula, we used one of the parent's SPOT device. It worked well for what we needed.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

I have pretty extensive experience with SPOT and some experience with the Garmin InReach. I first started with the Spot tracker, which allowed others to see your location, and you can SEND present messages and also emergency SOS type messages. Then I moved to the Spot X, which had all of the features of SPOT plus it can receive messages (either text or email). Then I upgraded to the Spot X BT, which included bluetooth so you can connect your phone to it which makes creating messages easier.

My only complaint with SPOT is that the messages take very long to send / receive, and sometimes are just lost. Same with the tracking. I have mine set to transmit my position every 10 minutes. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. There doesn't seem any reason why it works or doesn't. The device is usually in the same position, and I can't figure it out. For that reason I can't recommend SPOT.

One of my friends has rhe Inreach. His tracking works flawlessly. What I really want is a Garmin marine hand held GPS with marine charts AND Inreach built in.

Some things to consider with the Sat GPS devices:
Do you want 2 way comms or only SOS type messages sent?
Do you want the ability to connect your phone to the device for easy message creation? If so, do you want the ability to create and edit messages on the sat device?
Is small size important to you?

Good luck,
Barry