Sarasota Bay Returning

Jan 10, 2011
Macgregor 25 675 Lake Lanier
I like to sail and Sarasota Bay is great for sailing. If I want a new area it is easy to just keep going until I find it.
If you get tired of the area you can sail away and find a new area. If you have a larger boat you can try the Gulf of Mexico. So far I have only gone out of sight of the land one time. That was enough to convince me that I would not like to have a problem out there in a small boat like this.

The area just south of Sarasota Bay is smaller and has great places to anchor. It also has great places to fish. I tow a canoe. It allows me to get to shore and get supplies and gives me a great fishing platform.

I like to take the canoe trail on Lido Key. If I keep track of the tides it is like a Disney Land ride. The tide will push you through the mangroves as you glide down the channels. The birds are used to people and you can watch them from just a few feet away.

I like to fish and Sarasota Bay is great for fishing. Cut or live bait are great. The only real problem are the Seacats(Gafftopsail catfish). They have sharp spines and can cut you. Cuts can be quick and painful. They also like to infect. Call the doctor. The Seacats also like to eat bait. They mess up sitting around, listening to stories and catching fish. If you want to catch fish you have to pay attention.

I have a great place to anchor. It is only 3.9 feet deep but is protected from all sides by islands and underwater most of the time sandbars. There is a channel in but I turn around a sandbar and have a large pool of water that is undisturbed by wind or really large boats.

December 17 to the new year this is me.
Sailboat Sarasota.jpg

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Now that is a lovely post!

I think I would enjoy sailing the Gulf Coast in my 26S. We camp out on the boat occasionally, but I don't sleep very well on a boat, so I don't think that "life on the boat" is the life for me. Your post makes me want to at least give it a try.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Sounds like you two would also enjoy the sound side of the North Carolina Outer Banks.

Jan 10, 2011
I have a wife two adult children and a puppy on vacation with me. We stay in a condo. I stay on the boat as much as I can escape. cell phones the bane of the fisherman can call me from anywhere. Sometimes it's to pick up more people for fun. Other times something needs to be done.
The name of the dinghy is porpoise. When I'm out in the mangroves fishing or watching nature the McGregor is a great stop to take a nap or use the potty. The puppy is boat trained, however I don't have a boat potty for the puppy. I have to run into an island or the shore to go potty.
He is a puppy and is not been on the ocean. he's been a great mate on the lake. I have not tried him overnight on the sailboat.
Overall the most have stayed on the anchored boat is 3 days. I am not young enough to last more than 3 days. At 3 days I need a marina or a condo.

Apr 11, 2020
Yours gets my vote for "Most Clever Boat Name". Not only a truly groan-worthy pun, but tying it all together by naming your dinghy "Porpoise"? Truly inspired.:clap:

Jan 10, 2011
When I sleep on the boat for a nap I sleep on the long seat. When I sleep on the boat overnight I lower the table and inflate a full size mattress. It is the tall size. It fills the cabin and is far enough from the ceiling to be comfortable. The only difficulty is crawling in and out of the space for the head. I removed the door for the head and there is now a curtain. However, if there is more than one person they will be shaken as you crawl in and out. The bed is as good as home and with sheets and a comforter the temperature is just right. The sheets and comforter are kept in a vacuum bag.

My setup will be a little different from the 26S.Long Bunk.jpgMain Cabin.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
That is a LOT of trailer..... oh wait! I think that third axle is the spare.:facepalm:

Apr 11, 2020
When I sleep on the boat for a nap I sleep on the long seat. When I sleep on the boat overnight I lower the table and inflate a full size mattress. It is the tall size. It fills the cabin and is far enough from the ceiling to be comfortable. The only difficulty is crawling in and out of the space for the head. I removed the door for the head and there is now a curtain. However, if there is more than one person they will be shaken as you crawl in and out. The bed is as good as home and with sheets and a comforter the temperature is just right. The sheets and comforter are kept in a vacuum bag.

My setup will be a little different from the 26S.View attachment 211436View attachment 211437
I like the idea of a curtain at the head. I'll have to see what the Admiral says...

Jan 10, 2011
Made it back.
It has been very cold so there are few birds, few fish and few dolphins.

Warm air has returned.

Fishing will be great tomorrow and the fish will return from deep water. Birds and dolphins will follow.

Found the great spot to anchor.

IMG_20221227_143333167_HDR.jpg

Jan 10, 2011
IMG_20221228_151818524_HDR.jpg

5 month old puppy.

He barked. We went to shore and he pooped. He appears to have potty trained himself on a boat.

Does anyone have a plan for puppies on a boat and potty training.

Jan 10, 2011
Found another sailboat on a sandbar. Looks like a derelict boat that was abandoned. Most of the duct tape was worn away, missing parts and empty bottles of alcohol inside the cabin.

IMG_20221221_101142877_HDR.jpg

Jan 10, 2011
Just returned to Atlanta. Plan to launch into Lake Lanier and return to my dock at Aqualand Marina tomorrow.

Glad I missed 7 degree temperature in Atlanta.

Jan 10, 2011
Returning to Sarasota Bay on June 8, 2024. I will be anchoring out at the same location. I will be leaving two weeks later.

I have cleaned off the headliner and am selecting a replacement.

I will bring to boat home for a couple of weeks to clean it up and re-wax before we leave. I am looking at ceramic... If anyone has tried please let me know how it worked. My boat is old and has scratches but they will be shiny scratches.

I am also thinking about using foam decking. Please let me know if you already tried this idea. It is foam decking or paint.

I am renting a condo and plan to take daytrips. I am also putting a camera onboard to let me view the boat while I am away. That way I don't have to worry about high winds. It goes back on the trailer if really high winds are predicted.

Lots of activities in the area. If anyone wants to meet up let me know.

Jan 19, 2010
Two weeks ago I resurfaced the interior of a small 18' cuddy cabin boat. First I primmed the entire inside with KILZ mold and mildew paint. Then I used a combo of topside paint and peel & stick carpet tile. I used carpet tile for places where you sit or lay.

Both were an improvement but I was surprised at how easy the carpet tile was to work with. Lay it in place with the protective plastic over the glue side.... shape the tile using a box cutting knife ... peel and stick. Lowe's has outdoor carpet tile for less than $30 a box. There were a few places where I did not get a perfect seem... I used the knife to shave off some carpet fuzz from the tile and then glued it into the seem.... It looks great.

I'm guessing you could do a Mac 25 headliner for less than 4 boxes.

I originally wanted to limit how much carpet was in the boat to minimize stank.... I am reconsidering that decision given how easy the carpet tile is to work with ... The boat will look a lot nicer with carpet on the walls and I think I will just tear out the nasty pieces when the time comes and resurface.

Jan 10, 2011
Carpet tile sounds interesting.
Everything is a redo on the boat. I redid the seats and now they have mold stains. If I use foam decking I will have to redo at some point.

Jan 19, 2010
Before you lay down the tile, I would recommend these two products

get rid of the mold and mildew with a 30 second then wipe down after and then paint over with the kilz to keep the stank from coming back
C0FC1376-43FA-45C8-BAF4-6C72A3D003CE.jpeg

9B043EA1-74CC-4967-80D8-86AFCF3917C3.jpeg