Santana 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
One of our YC members who also commands a local Sea Scout troop in our area just bought a Santana 21 sloop and asked me if I want to teach the kids sailing. I know absolutely nothing about these boats and have never seen one up close. I'm curious as to how they sail. Are they tender? Are there any bad features to these boats? Is it a forgiving boat for a novice? I plan on taking a look at it, but looking at it and sailing it are two different things. I don't think any of these boys have ever sailed, and I'm concerned about this particular boat for learning on. If anyone is familiar with the Santana 21, I'd be interested in hearing from them.
Thank you in advance.
Joe

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
One of our YC members who also commands a local Sea Scout troop in our area just bought a Santana 21 sloop and asked me if I want to teach the kids sailing. I know absolutely nothing about these boats and have never seen one up close. I'm curious as to how they sail. Are they tender? Are there any bad features to these boats? Is it a forgiving boat for a novice? I plan on taking a look at it, but looking at it and sailing it are two different things. I don't think any of these boys have ever sailed, and I'm concerned about this particular boat for learning on. If anyone is familiar with the Santana 21, I'd be interested in hearing from them.
Thank you in advance.
Joe
i dont have any sailing experiance what so ever .......but i would assume that you must have ...haveing said that why not just do a dress rehersal and see how she responds to your expertise using your basic skills and put her through the paces.....yaers ago i raced flat track motor cycles and when getting on a strange to me bike i would take a few pratice laps around the track looking for pluses and mineses about that bike .....

regards

woody

p.s. if you do decided to use this boat and teach them write a basic and simple lesson plan and stick to it as much as possible and good luck .....

Mar 17, 2011
WD Schock Santana 2023 Richland, WA
I have a Santana 2023. It is quite different from the 21, but there is a good Santana owners forum on the trailer sailor site. I believe it is sister site to this one.

Good Luck

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
i dont have any sailing experiance what so ever .......but i would assume that you must have ...haveing said that why not just do a dress rehersal and see how she responds to your expertise using your basic skills and put her through the paces.....yaers ago i raced flat track motor cycles and when getting on a strange to me bike i would take a few pratice laps around the track looking for pluses and mineses about that bike .....

regards

woody

p.s. if you do decided to use this boat and teach them write a basic and simple lesson plan and stick to it as much as possible and good luck .....
Hi Woody,
I'll probably wind up doing just that. I'm sure that this boat has a swing keel and it could be a stable boat for kids to learn on. When I get a chance I'm going to take a ride down and look at it. Thank you for your input.
Joe

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
I have a Santana 2023. It is quite different from the 21, but there is a good Santana owners forum on the trailer sailor site. I believe it is sister site to this one.

Good Luck
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.
Joe

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
private message me and ask me all you want...i will try and help...you can see my 21 footer in the photo albums in my profile

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
private message me and ask me all you want...i will try and help...you can see my 21 footer in the photo albums in my profile
Hi Douglast!
I just checked out your photo albums and seen a lot of great pics. You did an excellent job on that boat.
I just received an email from my friend Ken and he told me that he is keeping the boat at his house so he can work on it. I'll give him a call a little later and go down there and take a look at it. I'll bring my camera with me when I go. From what I've seen of your pics, the Santana 22 is a nice looking boat.
I've always felt that a 22' boat was large enough to suit my needs. I bought mine new in a boat show in 1986 and the fact that I've kept it this long just proves my point.
You're very fortunate that you have a lady who loves sailing. My wife "swallowed the anchor" years ago and today my First Mate is a Pit Bull/Grayhound mix named Penelope. We tow a 9' kayak in back of the boat and she is able to jump in and out of it from the boat with ease to get to shore. Thank you for your reply. I'll probably get back to you with any questions I may have after seeing this boat.
Joe

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.