Santana 21 design info needed

May 19, 2023
Santana 21 Portland, OR
I recently purchased a Santana 21 sailboat that is missing the rudder and boom. I can't find any useful data online and need dimensions for both. If you have the info of can send me a picture of the rudder and/or boom with at least the length stated I would appreciate it.

May 19, 2023
Santana 21 Portland, OR
I don't know. I can't find any info on the mast. Here is a picture of the boom attachment and top of mast.
mast boom attachment.jpg
mast top pulley 2.jpg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Second @rgranger contacting Dwyer but is under new ownership. The mast head gave it away for me. Picture of the transom with the distance between the gudgeons noted. Rob, advise where Santana was built for me please.
Dave

May 25, 2023
Santana 21 San Diego
Hey Curt, I also just got a Santana 21, 1972, just 2 weeks ago. Seems to be in decent shape, but needs some cleanup and TLC. I was told it's been floating in a freshwater lake for the last 10 years. I'm a newbie sailor so will likely have some questions for the group.
IMG_20230525_180619795_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230525_180750352_HDR.jpg

Here is a pic of the rudder. I will get you some measurements in the next couple of days. I will measure the boom for you tomorrow. Please let me know if you need anything else.

May 19, 2023
Santana 21 Portland, OR
Thanks. I have the rudder measurements now but the picture helps. I still don't have the boom measurements though. I hope your keel swings down easily. After lifting my boat off the trailer and propping it up, I found out my keel is rusted tight. I'm in the process of breaking the rust loose so I can lower it and remove it for cleaning and inspection. Probably the pivot pin will need replacing as well.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You can make a rudder yourself. Don't worry about that. You can probably make a better one than the OEM. You don't have to make an exact replica unless you plan to race in class and there are specified dimensions.
It should be a bit less long than the keel while extended. The picture show a long narrow rudder made of wood. You can laminate pieces of marine ply to the desired thickness. Marine ply may be better than a single board because it would be more dimensionally stable. You should cover it in a fiberglass sheath. If your are anal you can shape the rudder to make an hydrodynamic foil shape - It could be worth the effort but limited by the condition of the keel and attaining a smooth bottom. For me if you're going to make a rudder you should make it the best you can. Each project on the boat should improve it potential performance. Santana 21's are a well regarded design and each improvement will make it more fun to sail.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Oh and since it's a centerboard boat you may want to make a kick up feature for the rudder. More complicated but worth it if your sailing area has shallow waters.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
You can find a lot of measurements information on sailboat models easily by visiting sailboatdata.com. Search on your model, Santana 21.

May 19, 2023
Santana 21 Portland, OR
Thanks for all your input. I contacted the W. D. Schock co. and they were no help. No one there longer than 30 years and no additional info available from them. I have visited sailboatdata.com and they have limited info on the Santana 21. Mostly sail sizes and overall dimensions of the boat.
Hey Curt, I also just got a Santana 21, 1972, just 2 weeks ago. Seems to be in decent shape, but needs some cleanup and TLC. I was told it's been floating in a freshwater lake for the last 10 years. I'm a newbie sailor so will likely have some questions for the group.View attachment 216078View attachment 216079

Here is a pic of the rudder. I will get you some measurements in the next couple of days. I will measure the boom for you tomorrow. Please let me know if you need anything else.
Does your keel swing down? I'm sending you some info I have found in case you don't have it.

Attachments

May 25, 2023
Santana 21 San Diego
Thanks for the attachment.

I don't know about the keel yet. The boat might turn into a winter project, with summer fishing season kicking into gear and many other projects that need to get done around here. It definitely needs bottom paint and the top of the transom is starting to separate from the cap. So will need some epoxy/fiberglass work there. Hopefully the keel is okay, but it does look pretty crusty. Trailer needs tires and lighting. One spreader is a bit loose. It needs a new companion way door. All the brightwork needs TLC. But I transferred title into my name. I only paid $200 for everything, so I expected to have to do some work.

How is your boat, other than the keel?

May 19, 2023
Santana 21 Portland, OR
The fiberglass is solid all over. After I get the keel functioning I need to find a boom for the mainsail, get a Jib or forward sail, and make a new rudder to get it sailable. After that I can redo all the woodwork in the cabin and elsewhere. Keel first or there's no use in doing more. I've blocked the boat the boat up off the trailer to work on it.
20230606_085415.jpg
20230606_085447.jpg
20230606_085447.jpg
20230606_085556.jpg
20230606_085619.jpg
20230606_085732.jpg

May 6, 2023
Santana Santana 21 Townsend
Thanks. I have the rudder measurements now but the picture helps. I still don't have the boom measurements though. I hope your keel swings down easily. After lifting my boat off the trailer and propping it up, I found out my keel is rusted tight. I'm in the process of breaking the rust loose so I can lower it and remove it for cleaning and inspection. Probably the pivot pin will need replacing as well.
Where are you located? When I bought my Santana 21 the man give me an extra mast and a boom. The two masks and two booms are not interchangeable. I believe the one that I am not using is what you are looking for.