Santa Barbara Island?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks for the report. Hoping to head over to somewhere on the island sometime this coming week. Maybe Little Harbor?
Normally, I think, the north side of Little Harbor is a good spot to shelter from the prevailing west to northwest swell & wind. Bow & stern anchor behind the reef formation there but beware—there’s a big submerged rock shoreward of your starboard when facing west behind the reef. You should deploy a stern anchor b/c the wind, or light breeze even, arrives from the East in the morning. It could push you to into the rocks/reef you are sheltering behind. The first time we stayed there a fishing boat was in there that had sidescan sonar, so told us the exact location of the submerged rock. Otherwise, we might have ventured too far north into the “pocket“ and perhaps struck it, or close call even. Chart depth there is 4 fm.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Normally, I think, the north side of Little Harbor is a good spot to shelter from the prevailing west to northwest swell & wind. Bow & stern anchor behind the reef formation there but beware—there’s a big submerged rock shoreward of your starboard when facing west behind the reef. You should deploy a stern anchor b/c the wind, or light breeze even, arrives from the East in the morning. It could push you to into the rocks/reef you are sheltering behind. The first time we stayed there a fishing boat was in there that had sidescan sonar, so told us the exact location of the submerged rock. Otherwise, we might have ventured too far north into the “pocket“ and perhaps struck it, or close call even. Chart depth there is 4 fm.
Thanks for that. Good comments. There is a rock in there. I have always deployed bow and stern anchors in the cove. Sometimes anchored in less that 2 fathoms. We draw 1. The good deal is the fishing boats there have been good about sharing yellowtail and white seabass when they get lucky! Yum.