sanitation hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

The folks at the sabre site recommended you for any head questions. I'm in the process of replacing my sanitation hose using sealands odersafe hose. I have a lot of tight turns and the hose won't bend that far. I've seen 90 deg grey barbed fittings at the hardware store would they work to make the turn? I also need a 90 deg turn right out of the holding tank because of the cleareance between the tank and the bulkhead. Where do I get a fitting that turns 90 deg. And how do you get the hose on the fittings-is it ok to heat it and use detergent or vegitable oil. This stuff is tough to work with. thanks in advance. Greg

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

"OdorSafe" hose is stiff as an ironing board!

It should not be heated to bend it tighter than it wants to go willingly (no hose should be, 'cuz it weakens the hose and can cause it to collapse and kink). Unless the gray pvc fittings are barbed at both ends (which I've never seen...they're all threaded at one end, barbed at the other), they can't be used as inline fittings. You don't want to use them at the tank either, 'cuz although they're called 1.5 thread by 1.5 barbed, the barbs are actually 1 5/8"--making 'em all but impossible to get a hose onto. So be sure to use only nylon or marelon thread-barb fittings at the tank. SeaLand has 90 and 45 degree inline radius fittings, which are what you need between the toilet and the tank. They're hard to find in boat stores, but you can call 'em Monday (800-321-9886) and ask 'em to fax you that page from their catalog and order 'em direct. They're component fittings, so you'll also need some pvc cement. To get hose onto a fitting, warm it with a blow dryer (use a heat gun ONLY if you really know what you're doing with one...'cuz overheating sanitation hose will damage it)...use a little dish soap on the fitting and the inside of the hose. Do NOT use ANYthing oily...you'll have a permanently slippery connection that can work off the fitting. Double clamp (iow, use two hose clamps) all connections...the screws on the hose clamps should be on opposite sides of the hose. You say you have a lot of tight turns between the toilet and the tank...that's not good, 'cuz every turn is a place for a potential clog. The shorter and straighter the run from the toilet, the better Can you re-route the hoses to straighten it out? If the total feet of hose between the toilet and the tank is longer than 6-8', I strongly recommend that you find another location for the tank. Tell the folks on the Sabre list I said "hi!" If there's enough discussion and questions, I'll be glad to join the list again to answer 'em.

G

Greg Smith

Thanks Peggy, The line goes from the head to a whaler diverter valve and to the front of the tank. About 10 ft of hose. Tank is in the bow w/ no other options for placement. Takes a 90 deg turn at the bulhead to the diverter valve and then to the front of the tank. I guess I could move the valve and hole for the tank to the back end. How do you close one end and then make a new hole in the tank. Greg

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

Relocating a fitting isn't hard, IF--

you have access to the inside of the tank. If you don't, adding access is just another step (inspection port retrofit kit). Use a bulkhead fitting (the kind with a nut that tightens it)...use a hole saw to drill a hole where you want it that's a VERY tight fit for the fitting. Insert the fitting from inside the tank, with the barb sticking out. Make a rubber gasket that's also a very tight fit to go over the barb...tighten down the nut, and put the hose on it.

R

Ray

Warm it up

Greg; Before you are ready to install the hose place it in a dark colored car on a hot and sunny day or lay it on the dock with black roofing paper over it. This will soften it up some. It also helps if you drill a hole through both sides on one end of the hose, attach a line and pull it through the path that it has to go while some one is on the other end pushing. Cut the part with the holes off when you get it near where it has to be. A little soap on the outside of the hose will also help. This method worked for me. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.