Sanitation Hose Looping

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I'm looking some ideas. I installed new Trident hoses in my '88 Hunter 28.5 to get rid of the smell. The problem is that the drain hose from the head loops down and then back up, causing a lot of the water and waste to remain in the hose, thus, it would seem, promoting faster penetration. It would take a LOT of pumping to pass enough water to clean out the hose, if I even can. This is the way the hoses were originally.

Yesterday, I tried to disconnect the pump out hose and move it to be below the hose from the head, but because the exhaust hose is immovable, I can't get so that the drain line is above the pump out hose.

Incidentally, with the current setup, the drain line is NOT touching the prop shaft...

Attachments

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is there any way you can re-route the toilet discharge hose to go straight up from the toilet, then down to the inlet fitting on the tank? That would require installing a loop--not necessarily a vented loop, just a loop-- in that hose, but it only has to be just little higher than the top of the tank. It'll also reduce the amount of flush water going into your tank 'cuz you'll only have to pump long enough to push the bowl contents over the top of it--which you should be able to do using the "dry" mode...gravity will do the rest. Follow the flush with about a quart of clean water to rinse behind it.

Jun 1, 2016
Peggy, That's what I'm trying to do, to make the toilet flow a straighter run, as you are suggesting. And I just can't figure out how to be able to squeeze two hoses the other way around, from what the original installation was. The boat used to be pretty smelly from the penetration through the old white hose. I bought your book, and I've been trying to go through and clean things up, scrub the material under the hoses, and clean things up.

I just can't figure out how to route the hoses so that it works. Maybe I'll take another close look at it and see if there's anyway that I can do a full 360° loop, which is what I think you are suggesting. The trouble is, the Trident hose is very stiff!

Jun 1, 2016
Well, to make a long story short, I sat and studied the hoses earlier this week and figured out that I could move the Pump Out hose back and then raise up the head drain hose using a frame made out of wood, about 6 1/2" high. This raises the hose up so that it is fairly close to level with the head output. It's not perfect, but it is MUCH better than the very low loop that I had and seems very stable. The pump out hose has a bit more of a loop, but considering that they always give me two rinses when it is pumped out, I'm not really concerned about anything that may be left in the hose. When sailing in a stiff wind on a starboard tack, it should all drain back to the holding tank.

I used a couple tie wraps to strap the hose to the wooden frame, and a few dabs of silicon on the bottom, to keep the wood from moving under the vibration of the engine.

Mike

Attachments